on 27 July 2012
This is a very attractive Bible spoilt by only one thing, which I'll come to.

The design is very good, and not the norm for an Oxford Bible. The size is good for a pocket Bible, it handles well, and, if you have bought the version without the zipper, there are no problems opening it. The text is small, but uncluttered, even in the prose sections. There are section dividers that add some extra white space to make things easier on the eye. I need reading glasses, but I can see the text without much problem. The notes are placed at the end of the OT and NT, and Dei Verbum is at the beginning. There are attractive glossy pages for family tree details - although why you'd want this in a pocket Bible I don't know.
The only negative is that the weave spine cover does not bind well to the end papers, and is quite noisy as you open and close, with a clearly audible crinkling sound. Apart from that, this is the translation stream (KJV, RSV, ESV, NRSV) pocket Bible I have been looking for.
on 3 February 2012
This bible is a wonderful purchase. It is as you would expect very good quality and a good read. It is a wonderful bible for people. Easy to read and understand. This is the first purchase and in the future I will order another copy.
on 18 July 2017
It's the Bible. Nuff said.
on 3 April 2017
nothing to add
on 29 May 2017
Easy to read/understand, befits beliefs - thank you
on 4 November 2015
an excellent bible .....unfortunately the printed word is far to small which makes reading tedious and difficult.
on 2 October 2015
Beautiful lovely large print easy to read
on 11 July 2017
Exelent help me in my daily lif strugels
on 26 July 2012
I bought the Revised Standard Version following a discussion about translations and versions at a parish study group I have started attending.
This is an English update of an American update of the King James / Authorised Version. Much of the language used is familiar - the poetic beauty of the King James all seems to be there but without some of the more antique language. I understand it also steers more towards textual accuracy than general modern-language equivalence. So spot on as far as I am concerned.
I ought to mention to non-catholics that the "Catholic Edition" bit doesn't mean the translation is different but that it includes the extra Old Testament books and passages which Protestants call the Apocrypha (and Catholics call deutero-canonical) which are missing from some editions.
The book itself is a nice neat package - easily fitting into a coat pocket or bag. It has several decorated introductory pages with spaces for dedication, family tree and similar making it suitable as a gift from godparents etc.
The typeface is small but very clear on fine paper. Perfect for young eyes (which mine aren't) and very good for all others.
11 Comment| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 May 2016
I ordered this Bible as my pocket New Testament was being battered about in my handbag. I was very impressed from the moment I opened it. The Miraculous Medal zipper is an added touch and keeps the Bible pages protected while it's in your handbag/briefcase.

The print us a little small but it is quite bold and clear so I have no issues with it. It also has an appendix, summary of footnotes and prayers and devotions relevant to the Catholic faith - which I find to be a wonderful bonus resource.

It opens well and it's everything that I needed without being too bulky or heavy. I would strongly recommend this to anyone who is in need of a portable Bible.
review image review image review image review image