Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 5 January 2011
I read this book some time ago and I thought it was excellent! I'm surprised there aren't more reviews.

I was reading it on a plane one day and I saw someone look at the title, shake they're head and frown. So clearly its message will not appeal to everyone!

The book is a compilation of essays by 20 philosophers and writers. I'm only an armchair philosopher myself but I found this book very accessible. I read it from front to back but it's the kind of book you can dip in and out of. The authors tell their own personal story of how they came to be atheists. Many of them had religious upbringings and through their own reasoning they reject the beliefs in which they were brought up.

I really enjoyed this book and I recommend it to atheists and theists alike.
on 14 March 2011
Enjoyed reading this book. For once I could actually understand what the philosophers were actually on about (well most of them!).
Particularly good was the chapter on how we do not need the God Hypothesis to be moral (Ch. 12 Homiak).
Useful antidote to the (mostly) philosophical drivel and theology of John Cornwell's recent book Philosophers and God.
E Housley