on 13 October 2001
To some extent we are are concerned about some aspect(s) of our appearance but BDD develops when that concern becomes an obsessive preoccupation. The suffering and torment can range from mild to severe. At the extreme, to turn your attention inward against yourself in such a negative fashion, can lead to very serious consequences which should never be ignored. BDD is a hidden disorder, often misdiagnosed because the real problem is invariably not presented to medical professionals due to guilt or the fear of misunderstanding, but associated problems such as anxiety, depression and social dysfunction are usually treated. However, treatments tend to be ineffective because all these conditions are underpinned by BDD which, as a core belief, needs to be targeted before the attachments can be tackled.
The good news is that, however serious the problem, BDD is treatable and improvement is possible. A combination of medication, usually SSRI anti-depressants, and psychological treatment, cognitive behaviour therapy, can chip away at those entrenched beliefs. Progress, however slow, is still progress and worth pursuing.
For the BDD sufferer, this book is a godsend. You come to realise that you are not alone, you are not mad and that there is a reason for your seemingly peculiar thoughts and behaviours. In the UK alone, it is thought there are about 400,000 sufferers. Read this book by Dr Katherine Phillips who has carried out extensive research into the disorder and is its most authoriative expert. The knowledge the book imparts is the first prerequisite on the road to recovery. This book could save your life no less.
33 Comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 August 2015
I have suffered from BDD since I was around 10 years old, (now 28) I got this book to hopefully learn more about the condition and to acquire techniques to overcome it but to be honest I felt so much worse after reading it!

This book made my BDD so much worse and terrified me with the bleak treatment options for BDD, there does not seem to be much structure in the book, I felt I was reading the same few pages over and over again "Jeff thinks this about his nose" sentences like that over and over. I think the book could of been written in half the pages. I think this book may be a great help for someone studying mental health and wants to get inside the mind of a sufferer. But as someone who has suffered from BDD I would avoid this completely!
33 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 May 2013
This is a book of serious matters. It covers some much in so much detail. It gives the reader a defintie understanding of the illness as well as what is needed (and not) to begin on the road to recovery. I would definitely recommend to suffers and non-suffers as this is a book that alows everyone to come together to combat such a rare yets severe illeness in order to help others.
on 2 November 2002
BDD is such a bizarre disorder and affects people in so many different ways that it can not be adequately summed up in a few paragraphs.
As a sufferer, just reading this book helped me to recognise that BDD was behind many of my own behaviours and that the shame of being obsessed with something so 'trivial' is shared by many. BDD sufferers are not vain and many would just like to consider themselves normal. The treatments covered in this book have helped me to lead a normal life.
on 4 March 2010
It's taken me five years to bother to come on Amazon and write a review about this book- that's how bad it is. There are some writers who publish because all their peers in their field are doing so. And to make a tidy profit on a topic which they know isn't that well understood- while they're at it. Katharine A. Phillips is one of those. If there was ever a prime example of vanity publishing- this is it. Nowhere in the 300 pages of fluff and bluff does she provide an explanation for why Body Dysmorphic Disorder occurs. Negative thoughts lead to negative behaviour? People who think they're ugly avoid social situations and have anxiety? Genius!! We really needed a table and diagram to explain what we go through everyday. The book has no substance or backbone. We're supposed to be sold on the strength of the examples provided, which become repetitive and monontonous as the book progresses (or fails to progress). Worst of all however, is the solution that Katharine Phillips proposes: the drugging of patients. Having been on an antidepressant myself for 6 years and had my body and life destroyed by it- I can safely say that these drugs are not only ineffective but dangerous. The scientific community has openly come out and admitted that not much is known about these drugs work and each year more damning reports on the negative and permanent affects (e.g sexual dysfunction even years after stopping) have come out. I think it's extremely irresponsible of Ms. Phillips to be proposing a solution in the form of drugs that she barely knows anything about for a disorder that she clearly knows even less about, if we are to judge by her book. I seriously doubt source of the other positive reviews and highly recommend that you don't buy this book.
22 Comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 January 2015
Fantastic book, honestly - really insightful. Definitely would recommend this to anyone struggling with BDD, anyone with a partner/family member/friend who has BDD, or anyone who may not even have heard of BDD - read this book! Very helpful and informative. Will be getting my partner to read this soon, so he can begin to understand me.
on 14 April 2016
This book is excellent and provides amazing insight and understanding into this very serious condition. The author of the book is clearly very knowledgeable and thorough and cares very much about this important subject. I would recommend this book to both therapist and those who feel they may may be suffering from BDD.
on 25 April 2015
This is my second copy of this book, the first having being rather over-read whilst writing my dissertation at uni some 10 years ago. An excellent and readable book looking at a poorly understood condition.
on 7 May 2008
I have just received this book and CANNOT put it down. I have done a lot fo reasearch into the condition that this books refers to: BDD and this is definately one of the best. Dr. Philips writes so compassionately about sufferers and gives insight into all the variations such as muscle dysmorphia (which I think my brother is definately suffering from) and gives a full list on how you can diagnose this condition. Although I think this condition is a little over self-diagnosed what with celebraties thinking they have it, I did find the list in this book helpful and made me really think about how my brothers personality is actually all to do with this condition.

I think this book would help anyone- someone wanting to understand which is why i bought it, or even a sufferer themselves. I think the hardest part about having BDD is actually acknowledging that you have it.

Thank you Dr. Philips for writing this incredible book.
on 23 May 2014
I bought this book as I wanted to learn more about BDD. It is a very good book and it was a very good price and in good condition for a second hand book