Customer reviews

on 26 September 2016
As someone who saw The Jolson Story 12 times in the cinema I cannot be called unbiased.Both myself and my late father loved his singing.So I have to say that this is one of the best showbiz blogs I have ever read.It is so detailed and includes interviews with people who knew him.He tries to explain a man who had a very complex character,who could be very cruel and very kind.Once you have read this book you can watch the biopic and spot the few true facts in the films.Unlike many authors Goldman is quite prepared to be critical of his subject.He is very perceptive in his comments.This book really brought Molson to life.I wish I had had the fortune to see Molson perform live.
on 4 July 2014
If you love Al Jolson then you need this book. The best and most detailed biography to date, this is keeping me up at night reading late. A fantastic read, giving insight not only into the man but also to the time he lived and ruled the world of showbiz. What more can I say. Just get a copy!
3 people found this helpful
on 6 December 2013
This is a very interesting book and well documented of the life of Al Jolson but it can be difficult to follow at times but for fans of Al Jolson it is well worth a read.
on 20 November 2012
I brought this for my mother to take on hoilday she liked it came on time and well pack thanks
on 20 December 2017
It is one of the best researched and informative biographies in this genre. I now understand much more about Jolson who was probably the greatest live performer ever.
It is one book you should read about live theatrical stage in the 20th century until its sad demise.