Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Morrissey Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

on 24 December 2012
I was staggered to discover that this English-Greek dictionary does not give the genders of the Greek nouns. I took it for granted that a dictionary of this status (and price) would do so without question. Unfortunately I did not read the customer reviews carefully enough, as I now realise that several reviewers have made the same complaint. Surely the editors must realise that one cannot use a Greek noun in a sentence without knowing its gender. Despite a recent (2008) revision, this feature has not been added. Having thought that this dictionary would meet all my needs in learning Greek, I now find that I have to use another dictionary which does give genders. I will only use this dictionary for words which are not in the other one. To use it involves looking up words twice, firstly finding the Greek word in this volume, and then looking that word up in the Greek-English section to find its gender. This is most disappointing, and has turned what should have been an all-purpose everyday reference work into one which I will only use very occasionally.
Apart from this, the dictionary is well set out and the layout is clear, with good use of colour. Alternative meanings of the words are clearly set out, with some examples.
on 10 March 2010
I have a copy of the English-Greek paperback dictionary, which I love. This, and all the rave reviews, meant I had no hesitation in buying the two-volume dictionary when I found I needed something more extensive. However, I was rather disappointed with the English-Greek half of the set. It is so obviously written for Greeks learning English, which is okay to a point, but the omission of gender and personal pronoun of nouns is a really poor oversight. Yes, the endings of Greek nouns give some indication of gender, but not enough to avoid having to look up each noun twice: first in the English-Greek volume and then in the Greek-English volume to confirm gender. What an irritating waste of time when you have an essay to write. You would have thought that Oxford University Press would have taken the trouble, when producing dictionaries of such quality (and expense) to make them suitable for both English and Greek speakers. Is this a reflection of the age-old assumption that English speakers wouldn't even bother to learn another language to this standard? I hope not. I did e-mail Oxford University Press regarding this point, but so far it has not been deemed worthy of a reply.
22 Comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 January 2010
I purchased this dictionary as an upgrade to an older edition of my Oxford English-Greek Dictiorary. I find the Learner's Dictionary very easy to use. It is clearly set out and the new version has words in blue and definitions in black ink making it much easier to navigate. There are a lot of up-dates and inclusion of new vocabulary. The Greek-English and English Greek Dictionaries are now the same height, which makes storage easier than previously.
on 25 January 2006
I bought this dictionary when I was still learning English. I now teach EFL and I still find that it is the best dictionary I ever used.
I certainly recommend it!
on 7 November 2009
Absoultely amazing, I've already had other dictionaries, but this one's the best- most accurate and reliable.
on 16 October 2013
This is the companion volume to the Oxford Greek-English dictionary and unfortunately it suffers by way of comparison. There are fewer entries, the entries have fewer examples of usage and I've come across a couple which are incorrect.

Nonetheless, it's still pretty good - and the two volumes together are much better than the other Greek-English dictionaries available.
on 3 October 2016
Excellent dictionary - very easy to look up words .
I would like to say how impressed I was with the delivery service - I placed this order on Sunday and it arrived on Monday - So "thank you Superman"
on 4 April 2014
A companion volume to the Oxford Greek-English Learner's Dictionary by the same author.
This volume is every bit as good as its companion
on 5 March 2016
Very helpful dictionary, not for beginners maybe but if you're really serious about studying Greek, a worthwhile investment!
on 13 December 2009
This is quite a thorough and useful dictionary, with more in-depth coverage than any other I've seen.

However, it seems to be aimed more towards Greek readers. Some pieces of information that would be useful to English readers (e.g. explicit genders of Greek nouns; disambiguation/clarification in English) are omitted.