on 19 September 2001
As a student at the Business College of Copenhagen, studying English/IT, this has be become one of my most important tools. Being both easy to use and containing practically every word in English i could possible think of, this is a book that i would recommend anyone who deals with English on a professional level. But at the same time I would also recommend it to those who think that their english skills are perfect, because thos book will expand even the largest vocabulary!
on 11 July 1999
I first was introduced to this dictionary when beginning my studies of English in 1977 at the University in Belgrade. It surprised me how non-threatening, easy to follow and thorough a book of its kind could be. Since then, I have moved to the United States and am now teaching English in New York City. The dictionary is still extremely useful with its Grammar, usage, and spelling. I am currently working on designing vocabulary excises for high school seniors and I turn to my Hornby again. I wish there were a way to thank him for creating such a valuable resource for students and teachers alike.
on 11 December 1998
As a student I use this book very often, and I don't imagine how I could study without it. The book contents every imaginable word from English. And it's not proper only for those who are teaching English, but more than that for all who would like to become excelent in English.
on 27 October 1998
The best ELT dictionary in the world. We are professional Education Consultants and have researched ELT dictionaries for a number of years. There can be no doubt that the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary is the best dictionary for English language students, teachers, and schools - scoring consistently highly under objective and subjective research.
It offers clear, concise, contextual explanations of head words - helping students to master the skills of working with an English-English (rather than a foreign language-English) dictionary. As an authoritative reference, its framework of language is closely related to the English language examinations run by the UK examination boards - making it an essential learning aid for students working towards an English language qualification.
We have taken feedback from students worldwide, and the OALD has scored consistently high "suitability" ratings - making it ideal for students from Asia, Europe, Scandinavia, South America, Africa, and the Indian Subcontinent studying British English at an Intermediate level (pre First Certificate) or above.
on 30 January 2000
This dictionary is the best dictionary I have ever come across. I first bought this dictionary in 1986 and ever since I have been always using this dictionary and from time to time I purchase every new editions that come out in the market. I wish if I could mug up the entire book and retain everything in my memory.
Now I am thinking of purchasing the CD-ROM edition very shortly.
on 29 August 1998
A.S. Hornby's dictionary is so clear and easy to use. I think it's the best English dictionary out there for anybody who want to learn English. Especially this edition is so good for advanced learners of English. I highly recommend this one. They come with many different kind of cover: flexicover, paperback, hardback and lamented boards. I own a flexicover edition and I just love it.
on 22 October 1997
This dictionary is almost perfect for those who are ambitious about improving their vocabulary as well as attempting to use each word correctly. It provides samples of sentences for every word, making it easier to comprehend the definitions of each word.
on 11 March 1998
This is the best dictionary I ever had. Besides the normal reference I found the usage examples great. I am a native spanish language person and I found it specially useful in my advanced english studies.
on 24 August 2009
I used the previous edition as well and this one is even better. A must for English learners.
on 23 February 2010
This is one of the best, if not, the best dictionary for beginners and advanced learners of English.

I have personally used it for myself, as a teacher, for many years, and I have highly recommended it to my students. It is a dictionary which uses the symbols of the International Phonetic Alphabet, which helps learners acquire the right pronunciation of words, and that, because they are able to pronounce the sounds of English correctly.

The added feature is the Compass CD-ROM, which takes it to another level, enabling the learner to listen to the pronunciation of words, both in standard British and American English. It also offers the opportunity to do some interactive grammar exercises and many others things.

I would strongly recommend the Oxford Advanced Learners dictionary to anyone who is serious about learning, teaching or carrying out research on the English language.

I would also like to thank Amazon for the secure, safe and prompt delivery of the dictionaries to my address, after purchase. Excellent customer service!

E.Nicoue