on 12 September 2017
As a writer and teacher of EFL English this book is invaluable. If you're learning new vocabulary and grammar usage this is the book for you. Michael Swan is one of my favourite academics. His books are easy to read and comprehend with a well though out layout. A great book!
on 1 November 2017
Great book: very useful for English tutors.
on 15 April 2013
I bought this book to help me to give solid and easy to understand grammar explanations to my students, and it does just that. It has provided me with sound reinforcement of my own knowledge of English grammar rules, particularly regarding things that I was struggling to explain beforehand. I'm very pleased I bought this book, and is one of the few grammar books that I refer to regularly.
on 22 October 2017
ok
on 18 January 2004
This grammar book has the size of a dictionary, and the entries are in alphabetical order for quick reference. It is "intended for intermediate and advanced students, and for teachers of English," as it is stated in the introduction. I particularly enjoy the bright white of the paper and the use of a brown-red for the entries, whereas their explanations are in black, in bold type and cursive. There are also ten very interesting pages about "newspaper headlines" and useful information on "stress, rhythm and intonation," as well as "weak and strong forms."
I have a degree in foreign languages and literatures and have taught English for the last ten years. I think everyone who studies the English language should have this book on their shelves, next to their dictionaries, for whatever your grammar doubt is, you'll quickly find a solution to your problem.
0Comment| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 June 1999
Designed as a reference book, it is very easy to find what you're looking for. The style is simple and straight-forward, making it easy to use, even for non-native speakers of English.
Swan gives a lot of examples, both of typical errors (clearly marked as such) and of standard usage. Best of all, he doesn't tell you what you should say. He tells you what people do say.
on 15 February 2001
My English lecturer recomended this book to me, and I have never regretted buying it. As a non-native speaker of English, I find this reference book to be very straight foward and answers most, if not all, of my questions on English. The defferences between formal written English, and informal written English are clearly explained, and there are a lot of examples too. As a non-native speaker, the part on the differences between Brittish and American English is greatly appreciated. On top of that, entries on pronunciation, punctuation marks, idioms, taboo words, slang, spelling and others are also available. It is also very user-friendly as there is a solid index, and a cross-reference to related topics. I would recomend this book to those who are studying English in the elementary level, as well as the advanced non-native speakers as one will never fail to learn something new whenever one opens up the book.
0Comment| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 May 2015
A reference book; what more can I say.
on 17 April 2001
I studied English as a second language and have been teaching it for over 10 years in Hong Kong. From time to time, I need to consult a dictionary or a reference book on usages and grammar. I saw this book by accident several years ago in the education section of the university library and I knew it's the one book I couldn't do without. I rushed to the bookshop to get my own copy and I've been using it ever since. I would recommend it to anybody who is serious in improving his or her own English. After you've read this book you'll be surprised to find English Grammar can actually be presented in a user-friendly manner. The concepts are very clearly defined and well-illustrated by self-explanatory examples. For elementary learners and beginners, I would also recommend "Practical English Grammar" by the same author. It's a good start and accompanied with an exercise book. All in all, it is a MUST for all ESL learners.
11 Comment| 117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 July 2014
Very useful for clarifying points of grammar but also very detailed so you need to know something about grammar in order to get the best out of this book. Not for beginners but a helpful teaching aid.