Customer reviews

on 19 September 2017
Prompt delivery, attractive cover, excellent CD to play even on its own.
Such a useful book to play and especially with such a good CD.
I have bought it in time to learn quite a few pieces to play at Christmas with my family.
on 6 December 2017
Great Service and the book is fantastic. Thanks.
on 5 December 2012
As a classically trained pianist, i wouldn't know how to put together a jazz piano solo if my life depended on it. I was asked to play for a carol concert in our local church and wanted something Christmassy and not too obvious. This book caught my eye and I'm so glad I got it. The arrangements are just beautiful, I can't stop playing them, the harmonies are so clever. around grade 5 i would say. Can't wait to play for the service and am hoping I dare put the jazzy version of Santa Claus is coming to town in at the end! As the songs are not listed in the description, they are:
Have yourself a Merry little Xmas
Winter Wonderland
I saw 3 ships
In the bleak mid-winter
Noel nouvlet
santa claus is comin to town
the Xmas song
O little town of Bethlehem
Balulalow
Sans Day carol
Silent night
Can't recommend it enough if you'd like to sound jazzy and don't know how - comes with a CD too.
0Comment| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 November 2011
I concur wholeheartedly with the other reviewers who have given this book five stars. The pieces are relatively easy to play (around Grade VI standard) and the book comes with a handy CD of all the pieces featuring Nikki Iles on piano. Each arrangement has been influenced by a particular Jazz legend but without becoming a pastiche. Personally, I much prefer Jazz on a Winter's Night to Piano Stylings of Classic Christmas Carols (Steinway Library) and I also think that this book gives better value for money.

Contents

1. Have yourself a merry little Christmas (inspired by Nat King Cole)
2. Winter Wonderland (inspired by Take Six)
3. I saw three ships (inspired by the Modern Jazz Quartet)
4. In the bleak mid-winter (inspired by Bill Evans)
5. Noël nouvelet (inspired by the John Coltrane Quartet)
6. Santa Claus is comin' to town (inspired by Paul Bley)
7. The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas to You) (inspired by Frank Sinatra)
8. O little town of Bethlehem (inspired by Vince Mendoza)
9. Balulalow (inspired by Norma Winstone)
10. Sans Day carol (inspired by Abdullah Ibrahim)
11. Silent night (inspired by Thad Jones)
on 16 December 2009
Nikki Iles is a fine jazz pianist, and also involved in jazz education e.g. as a contributor to the ASM Jazz piano project.
This book falls somewhere between - original arrangements of carols and Christmas songs, each one playing with a different style or artist-inspiration. It's done with skill and affection. The pieces are careful transcriptions of Nikki's playing (on the CD) and while few are 'easy', they're all attainable for at least this amateur, and realisation does give me a feel of jazz under my fingers.
Highly recommended. If Nikki offered more of the same (not necessarily Christmas-themed), I'd buy it sight-unseen.
on 22 December 2011
This is an excellent book, containing a varied selection of elegantly and sympathetically arranged pieces. I'd say the pieces range from grades 4-6 (3 maybe for Silent Night). There are lush ballads and also highly groovy renditions of swinging pieces Santa Claus is Comin' to Town and Winter Wonderland. I particularly like the subtle changes in the accompaniment rhythm throughout the swinging pieces and the short solo bursts; these touches make the pieces really interesting and gives valuable insight into the world of improvisation - quite inspiring for those of us still stuck on the sheet music but with aspirations to go 'off piste'! Such a refreshing change from the dull arrangements that fill so many sheet music books. I will be looking out for other titles by this arranger.
on 11 December 2009
Lovely book of winter arrangements and one that will keep you busy playing over the Christmas period! Probably level around Grade 5-6 at times and very enjoyable too. Soupy harmonies on 'Merry Christmas to you' have me all in a swoon! Great stuff - I love Nikki Iles's work.
on 18 November 2013
Great pieces of music, really enjoyed them. The CD helped a lot with learning them as I'm an intermediate player who hasn't played in a long time. Would really recommend this. I've bought just two of this series of 4 books, but am keen to order the other two. I'm practising these ones for Christmas, hopefully will learn a couple before then. Nice to have a different take on the traditional christmas music / carol arrangements.
on 15 December 2011
I have looked for years for a Christmas music book for piano that has lovely harmonies like this. It also seems to be difficult to find carol sheet music which is about this standard (Grade 5 or 6). The arrangements are suberb and included are more unusual songs too. So after years of playing the standard carols and Christmas songs which are arranged simply and with bog standard harmonies, it is exciting to play these arrangements. It is going to create a nice atmosphere when I play to family and friends.
on 14 December 2015
Some of the arrangements here are pretty anodyne for something published by Oxford. Those arrangements that are good, though, like "Have yourself a merry little Christmas" or "Chestnuts roasting" are still worth a look.