on 2 August 2016
A great general introduction to some of the most important areas of philosophy. This goes deep enough so that a non-specialist can get a good grasp of the issues - enough to then be able to think and analyze for oneself.

The writing style is clear and lively, and the book is well-produced - slightly smaller than average format so you can carry it everywhere.
Highly recommended
4 people found this helpful
on 2 May 2018
Worth reading and thought provoking in places, but I found his treatment of therapy and religion both suffered from being unnecessarily shallow.
He dismisses therapy as being little more than an attempt to make people feel better - I guess there are some therapists that do that but most approaches have a philosophical basis and several - for example CBT and REBT - are particularly strongly associated with a philosophical stance. Similarly, he devotes a lot of space to religion - I didn't quite understand why - but doesn't seem to do much more than run through the basic challenges made familiar by Dawkins et al. - which are certainly valid when addressing a certain kind of classic realist religiosity - but don't really address the more modern philosophical approaches to faith - say those taken by McGrath and Plantinga.
However very readable, good on more modern ideas about ethics and held together with a cheerful pragmatism which kept me interested and reading to the end.
on 26 November 2016
Overall, I feel a better person for reading this book. Some of the chapters genuinely make to stop and think. The logic is so pure it's a thing of beauty. Others I couldn't understand and just ended up lost. I might have to go back and re-read some parts.

Introduces to the major concepts and gives you a taste of the many roads these arguments can go down.

Well worth a read. Everyone will get something out of it.
on 31 December 2017
An excellent read to give support to my OU studies
on 20 December 2017
Not as good as I'd hoped. He's been pretty lazy at thinking of good examples. I didn't find it that easy to follow, or helpful as an introduction to philosophy.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 2 March 2013
Simon Blackburn writes well and is aware of the needs of struggling intellects such as myself. I am making my way into the book at several places and may not finish it soon, but that is the way I proceed with this subject. SB includes details of other books he has referenced and seems to make his and their ideas easy enough to set me thinking for many days. I recommend also the use of a dictionary of philosophy as a rapid means of reading about ideas and technical terms.
on 10 September 2017
Very clear account of the major philosophical questions. For a philosopher he's refreshingly direct about religious mumbo jumbo. A good read.
on 10 September 2016
So clearly written, not in jargon but in simple English. I recommend this book for all who have a curiosity concerning philosophy and straight thining but may feel overawed by Philosophers.
on 20 July 2017
good at changing perspective
on 13 March 2018
Don't actually remember buying this.