VINE VOICEon 27 April 2014
Frankenstein, or more correctly, Frankentein's Monster, is something known very well in popular culture. Most, when they hear the word Frankenstein conjure up the image of the moaning giant with bolts in his neck popularised throughout 20th century film and television, so I was surprised to discover just how different the original monster in the book is from the one we have come to know.

The story is presented in epistolary form, within the frame of correspondence between Captain Robert Walton and his sister, Margaret. Captain Walton tells the tale of how his crew rescued Victor Frankenstein from what would undoubtedly have been a frozen death during their excursion toward the North Pole. From this chance rescue, Victor recounts to Captain Walton the story of how he ended up so far North, explaining to them precisely what was the creature the crew saw pass them a few hours before they rescued Frankenstein.

What follows is, in essence, Victor Frankenstein's life story. Beginning with his childhood we come to discover how Victor became acquainted with outdated ideas on Natural Philosophy and what led him to his fascination with life and how life can be created. He recounts the tale of his work in creating the monster that came to be his torturer and come to know of his revulsion of his creation once life was given to it. It is this revulsion of the creature and its subsequent rejection which sets in motion a chain of horrific events perpetrated by the monster which brings Victor to his current state; being rescued by the captain.

I won't go into much detail from what I have already said about the story as it is something that is best discovered yourself while reading the story. Many other reviewers have written about how different the book really is from the image of the Frankenstein's Monster we have come to know in popular culture. Most striking is the monster's acquired education and eloquence through his observance of a family over the course of a number of years. The crimes that are committed at the hands of the monster, through his acquired use of language, allow him to explain his motivations and his internal mental torments which thus make him a sympathetic creature. The crimes he has committed are ones of true abhorrence, so perhaps for some it may be difficult to feel that sympathy, but it is the rejection by his creator and his abject loneliness, brought on from being the first and only of his kind, that compels him to act the way he does.

The story is truly compelling and sometimes legitimately scary, yet the tale of Frankenstein's monster is perhaps allegorical of the way in which life, happiness and acceptance are viewed, especially in the classical world. Perhaps the monster is even a metaphor for our own pursuit of love, companionship and the struggle to come to terms with our creator (God). In fact, there is reference made to the Biblical 'Adam' in the story, to whom the monster seems to relate, in that Adam's existence was only really complete and satisfied when he had his 'Eve' and the monster's motivation was simply to gain his own 'Eve'.

The edition I bought was of the Clothbound Classics series and it has a look and feel to it that makes it a welcome and proud addition to any book shelf, so I would strongly recommend that you pick this up. It really is something to be enjoyed.
on 4 January 2017
this is the edition you need for school english gcse
on 14 May 2017
Very powerful. Emotionally incredible. I found the characters very interesting-whether the monster truly was evil, and Frankenstein responsible for his fate, or if the monsters behaviour was akin to an uncontrolled unloved child, who easily overreacted, then tortured himself for his wrongdoings, yet continued to subconsciously/uncontrollably kill in anguish and despair. Hard to read though, slow going, complex. Will take u a while! Also rather depressing. Otherwise very interesting.
on 2 February 2015
My New Year's resolution was to start reading books more. I have only a 3 chapters to go now. This is a lot more in depth than the film(s). I am finding it most fascinating with the characterisations that Mary Shelley gives. It also gives an inkling into her psyche on the night in question with Byron and Shelley (her husband). Don't forget there was a huge storm on that particular night they wrote their stories.

I can't imagine what life would be like without Mary Shelley having wrote such a book. I think it got GPs, specialists and scientists from when it got published not to fear going "over the boundaries" of surgery, biology, etc.. Neurology might have never existed as it does today. Thank You Mary!!
on 19 June 2017
I have never actually read Frankenstein until a couple I picked it up to read due to it being on my required reading for my final year at University. I have seen and watched several reimagining's on TV and movies centred around Frankenstein's monster. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this novel that I have only hours ago finished reading. I can't explain it fully, but when I started to read this novel, I felt as if I was face to face with Frankenstein himself. Throughout the novel, you feel for both Frankenstein and the monster itself, and the ending is sorrowful that part of me is hoping that Shelley may have written a secretive sequel to Frankenstein that is yet to be found. First time reading this novel, and already I am impressed by it. I will definitely be reading this again in foreseeable future.
on 12 October 2010
If you think that Frankenstein was a dim-witted green monster with a flat head, bolts sticking out his neck and moved slowly in a mummy-like fashion, then please dismiss all such notions from your head as that vision is highly inaccurate.

Without spoiling it too much, the monster was not given a name and Frankenstein was the name of the scientist who made the monster. Another mistake that some people make is in giving Victor Frankenstein the title of Dr. Frankenstein, as he never completed his studies. As for the monster itself, it was yellow, moved with immense speed & grace and was extremely well-spoken, having learned English from, amongst other thing, Paradise Lost.

The book begins very slowly. There is a lot of background detail given that doesn't really add much to the story and by a quarter of the way through the book, I was considering abandoning the book. Thankfully I didn't, for as the story continued I was drawn in to Shelley's world.

The tale touches on themes of ethics in science, love, rejection, denial and a huge dose of revenge. Undoubtedly the best section is the first prolonged conversation that Frankenstein has with his creation. While some sections are tough-going, I would highly recommend this as a classic of literature, and the best antidote to considering Frankenstein as anything like Fred Munster.
on 6 December 2014
I purchased this item to replace my old much loved and battered copy that was lost in a recent move.

The story is one of three gothic horror novels that I love. Dracula and The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll And Mr Hyde (which I'm currently reading).

We all know the basic story of Frankenstein, probably due to watching movies, but the book is far more indepth, naturally.

I like the pace of the story (though some people have told me they find it slow in places, but I can't agree) and much like Dracula and Dr Jekyll, no matter how many times I read the story I'm always hooked from the very first line.

There is something nice about reading a genuinely disturbing and unsettling story without having to rely on typical blood and gore.

I think though this is a book that you'll either really enjoy or struggle to get into. But if do struggle, stick with it. It's well worth it.
on 29 November 2016
Her writing style is beautiful and really elicits empathy for the real first victim of the story, the `monster' himself. I was reading it whilst researching the concept of trans-humanism, which is being discussed a lot these days online. I thought it might serve as some kind of warning of dangers that might exist in this area, much like Orwell's novels warned of the world that is emerging right now. Being married to the poet Shelley probably enhanced her creative writing abilities as well. No wonder that a horror story became such a classic.
on 21 August 2017
Mary Shelley wasn't a writer as is obvious from this, her only venture into the literary world. Yet despite its obvious and glaring mistakes, this is a story that successfully investigates humanity's complexities and examines the compass of our emotions. It's difficult, today, to believe this was written early in the 19th Century, and by a woman who was hardly mature. Nonetheless, I admire the lady and recommend her unique story to future readers.
on 14 May 2017
I chose this version - there is another version that the author herself abridged as a result of public demand - because I wanted to read the full unabridged version. I was not disappointed. The prose is amazing and the story outstanding. I thought I knew the story from all of the media coverage of this classic but reading the book showed me (once again) that that wasn't the case.

Highly recommended