on 1 July 2016
I haven't read this slowly for years and years. Lots of re-reading and much quiet thought. A remarkable man, not easy, very challenging but well worth the effort. Takes the reader away from our consumer culture to something very profound, the transcendence of the self. Whitman tells you to carefully examine all that you have been told and to dismiss what insults your soul. Lots of thinking and reflecting needed.
on 10 April 2016
low quality and poems are printed in a prose format. impossible to read
on 31 October 2015
One star because you can't give Walt Whitman no stars but sadly I have been unable to read the book as it's so badly produced. The font, the spacing , the layout all make it unreadable. Amazon, surely you can do much better.
on 10 May 2017
I'm learning to like the way Whitman writes. It's a great book. I most certainly recommend it. very happy indeed.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 October 2014
A cheap and cheerful reprint of the 1855 version of Leaves of Grass that is useful as a reading copy but don't expect high production values.
on 24 June 2017
Lovely book
on 1 August 2017
excellent
on 20 August 2017
Attempted to order Whitman's Complete Poetry and Prose, which is what I wanted, and I was sent this instead, so am not happy
on 25 January 2015
As Amazon still clump together reviews which could related to many different editions- this review is for the 1855 edition, brown/maroon cloth cover with gold inlay by Amereon Limited. I wanted a nice edition of this amazing work. This is not quite it. At first I thought it was a dreaded 'Print on Demand' book. It might well be, I don't know. The paper is ivory acid free and of a good weight. The inlay on the front is scrappy but passable. The huge let down is the print. It is not dark and crisp; it is computer printed text, exactly like the trusty Canon's used to print- in 1989. It is grey and undefined and strains the eyes after a while. Not £15 worth of book, that's for sure. Even my 5 year old printer at home prints superior text to this. What are they thinking? If I met a student studying Whitman, I would give them this copy to make notes in and buy myself a better one. I think I will have to anyway… The hunt goes on...
on 29 May 2014
I would imagine that many people would buy a book of this type as a present, in which case a slightly more substantial faux leather , gilded and embossed cover would be far more appropriate.
I would have preferred to have paid twice the price and have something more suitable to give as a present.