VINE VOICEon 16 January 2015
Beware: this was published in 2008 and is therefore liable to be full of out of date information. My advice as a person living with HIV, that I often give to people who are recently diagnosed, is to ignore anything factual that was published more than a year ago, eighteen months at the maximum. Admittedly I'm referring to internet sites with that advice, but it's just as applicable to books, unless, as in the case of Sir Norman Fowler's excellent (never thought I'd use that word about a Tory!) "Aids: Don't Die of Ignorance" which falls into the "history" category.

This only gets a star because the reviewing system forces a star rating. Consider this a no star review!
on 13 August 2009
A good little book, delivers exactly what it promises and gives a good overview of the central issues surrounding HIV/AIDs and global responses to it.

Its got the numbers, the science and the human cost of the disease, and it's well written and easy to understand (even for someone like me with only GCSE biology knowledge). I'd definitely recommend it for someone doing school work on the disease or someone that just wants to improve their general knowledge and be able to discuss HIV/AIDs confidently. I'm going to order the other book by this author on this topic, and I hope it's as good as this one!
on 8 February 2012
I'm applying to study Medicine at university and having done some work experience with an HIV specialist, I thought I'd read a bit more to prepare for interview. It was detailed enough to obtain an in-depth understanding of how the virus spreads in the body, the prevalence throughout the world and interestingly, about HIV and politics which I'd never thought about before, but it wasn't so complex that I didn't have a clue about what was going on. I'd thoroughly recommend it if you have no knowledge of the subject and want to know a bit more. At roughly 130 pages it's quite detailed but readable. Just one more thing - you might want to save it to read at home. You get some funny looks reading it in public!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 August 2016
I just started reading this book, its in great shape, but it did have some highlights in it. Otherwise, its an interesting and informative perspective into the HIV/AIDS epidemic and what have been done so far, and how much farther we have to go.
on 11 April 2012
I found the information on cytocuccal menigitis very interesting, I had this myself, its a tough one and hard to survive. AIDS is a hard disease as I have been positive for 16 years
on 10 September 2012
Good read if interested. Gives you the basic knowledge to understand what HIV/AIDS is really about. Maybe something to make it slightly learner friendly?
on 30 January 2009
ideal to get your introduction to the pandemic: it's an essential introduction and then buy the main book by the author too.
on 24 August 2011
After watching Team America World Police and being informed in song form that 'Everyone has AIDS' I had to find out more about this seemingly unstoppable disease. After reading this book though it seems that Trey Parker and Matt Stone had lied to me the gays and the strights it seems don't all have AIDS and neither does the Pope, in fact the AIDS epidemic is not as bad as the song made out, thank goodness really as I was worried for a minute there.