on 10 July 2010
I picked this up by chance at a second hand bookshop, and had to have it. It's short, and presents like a childrens book, but I'd say it's far from. It contains some rather adult themes for a book that really looks like it should be for children (the typeset gives it this feeling).

the illustrations are wonderful and really bring this book to life, it's well worth getting a copy, despite how short it is. I highly recommend this!
on 2 February 2014
We were taught this in the 1950 at home, and we all knew it off by heart, then when the film came out with Philip Friend as the highwayman, we all fell in love with him, this is such an unusual poem Alfred Noyes could write a good story, I just wish they would release the film again, buy this, you will love it, especially if you are a romantic like me, its so sad.
on 23 April 2014
The children in my class loved the illustrations in this version of Alfred Noyes Poem (KS2) and decided they were haunting, chilling and exciting.
Highly recommend for independent reading or sharing as a class reader.
on 14 December 2013
I bought the book for my visitor from Germany. Helen is a student who studies English and she absolutely loved the story! It's a going away present for her.
on 12 May 2014
this was an immediate hit with my grandsons (aged 8yrs.) a wonderful atmospheric poem that my mother used to recite and superbly illustrated
on 13 November 2014
Year 5 narrative poetry book - very gory but many a child has apparantly studied it and slept through the night afterwards...
on 8 December 2016
First read this poem at primary school, have always loved it. The illustrations are good but I expected they would be in colour but were not, which was a shame.
on 18 April 2015
A beautiful book and a wonderful haunting poem. I use this with year 5 classes and they adore it. A powerful introduction to narrative poetry.
on 29 December 2013
An amazing piece of literature, which combined with the illustrations is both powerful and memorable. A classic for all time!
on 27 December 2013
I bought this for my daughter so that she would stop borrowing my copy! Excellent book, beautifully illustrated thank you.