Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 April 2017
What a fantastic story! Astrid Lindgren has captured the wonder and excitement of a very young child discovering the world of nature, enjoying the freedom to roam freely while having the security of her home - Matt's Fort - and a most devoted father to watch her back.
At first I was a bit concerned that the theme, robbing, might give children an inappropriate message, but if you persevere you discover that in fact the message is that there are other ways to make a living.
There is also a message about loving your enemies, and finding other ways to settle scores than violence.
A wonderful book! And also a wonderful series on Prime!
on 1 April 2016
A classic, beautiful book for Children. A book of friendship beyond rivalry, and courage to get through obstacles. For all ages and if the child has a lot of imagination it can be scary at some parts.
on 29 June 2013
I won't go into details about how great and refreshing and amazing and heart-warming this book is. Many have done so here already. Astrid Lindgren has enchanted generations of children with stories that were way ahead of their time, featuring strong, independant child heroes and heroins. This book is no exception. I haven't bought my copy here as I'm Dutch and cherish my own (Dutch) copy that I've owned since the 80's when I first read it as a little girl. I, however, do highly recommend buying a copy for your daughter or son (or any family member under 12 :-), as this story hasn't lost any of it's appeal over time. It's amazing to think it was written so long ago. Like I said, Lindgren was way ahead of her time, especially with her feisty, strong female heroins like Pippi or Ronja. Still great role-models for young girls (though boys will enjoy the adventure just the same)!

I just wanted to let fans of the book know that there is a wonderful Swedish screen adaptation available, for which Lindgren herself wrote the screenplay (it was a mini series that was aired in 1983, and then that got cut down a year later to make a feature length film). Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to exist a copy with English subtitles. There is German dubbed version, a Polish and a Swedish one (I believe one of those is the original miniseries, which is slightly longer than the film made out of it, but not that much longer), both without English subs.

I would recommend the Swedish version (or watching the Polish one without the Polish subs), the story is easy enough to follow (especially if you've read the book). The two young Swedish child actors playing Ronja/Ronia and Birk both act very natural, as they both never had acted before. I adored the film as a little girl, replaying my old VHS recording of it countless times untill it broke (I was inconsoleable...). I've written a review of the dvd on this site as well. I was lucky to finally find a copy with Dutch subs a few years back. Untill that time I cherished my copy bought on a holiday in Denmark, even though it didn't have Dutch or English subs. I watch this little gem once a year, just to feel like an adventurous kid again. I loved it so much growing up, both the book and the film. So, there's a great screen adaptation out there. Please, do yourself or your young family members a favor and check it out!
on 29 January 1997
I was about eight when I first got this book as a Christmas present from my parents. The story tells of a young girl born into a band of robbers during 'a dark and stormy night.' The robbers, whose leader Ronia's father is, live in a castle that was split in half by lighting the night Ronia was born. The other half of the castle is inhabited by a rival group of robbers whose leader has a son the same age as Ronia. One summer Ronia meets Birk, her counterpart, in the woods, and the children start a secret friendship.

Filled with wholesome adventures in the woods, interesting creatures (none of them TOO scary), and a conflict of families that gets solved in the end, the book is a delight. This book remains one of my favorite books from childhood, one that I read many times and always looked forward to reading again.
on 10 December 2000
A beautiful book. The familial relationships and questions of Ronia echo every inquisitive child, and the magic of the forest, along with its inhabitants will enthrall any active imagination. Thoroughly recommend this book for children of any age and adults who like to believe in trolls, gnomes, harpies and spirits.
on 14 March 1999
I read this book when I was in elementary school. I am now an adult, and have not read it since; however, I feel quite confident in giving it an excellent review. Somehow, I was surprised that the reading level is so low...despite the fact that I was so young when I read it, it still appeals to me, so I feel like it ought to be a grown-up book that my extremely mature ten-year-old self just happened to read. Regardless, it's a marvelous book which makes the reader want to live in the forest with the bands of thieves and be just like Ronia (or, for boys, her forbidden friend, whose name escapes me). A great read!
on 29 August 1998
I also read this book as a little girl and couldn't put it down. Ronia is exactly how I want my daughters to be someday: independent, fierce, adventurous, and willing to use moss as a pillow.
on 2 August 1999
The last time I read this book was when I was nine, but the images have stayed with me all this time. I got my copy of RONIA a couple of days ago from Amazon.com, and it is better than I remembered. The aching loving relationship between parents and children, and the pain of making choices that come against that (called 'growing up') is beautifully brought out in this brilliant tale, set against a landscape of a forest with dark stands of trees, populated by beasts of the earth, and harpies and dwarves, and a lighting-riven castle. Although not quite so explicit, it is a Romeo and Juliet type story, with the charm and appeal of innocence. Ronia is a headstrong heroine who will capture your imagination instantly!
on 25 March 1998
I read the book both as a child and as an adult, and I feel it's one of the greatest books written for children as well as adults. Both Ronia and Birk are great role models, and even with the emergence of other strong literary role models for girls, this is a must-read for girls (as well as female adults as there is little emphasis on gender-typing. The English translation by Patricia is very close to the original, and hence, offers a great reading experience.
on 3 December 1998
This book was a favorite of mine when I was in elementary school. Now as a second grade teacher, I look forward to sharing this tale of adventure, friendship, and anti-stereotyped characters with the children in my class. I fully recommend this book to children who love adventure and fantasy. Enjoy!!!