Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 8 September 2007
What an inspired idea! The moment I saw the cover of this I had to have a copy - Lauren Child's illustrations are the perfect accompaniment to give this timeless classic a contemporary twist. Pippi is a `girl power' heroine, a strong self-assured funky little character with her sticking out red plaits and freckle, and an honest independence of spirit and a resourcefulness you can but admire. Instead of parents, she lives with her monkey, a horse and a stash of gold! She has two good friends to whom she tells tall tales and with whom she has a lot of fun. I recently read a borrowed original to my six-year old daughter who thought it was a smashing story. This beautifully produced edition with its frequent colourful illustrations (a red-based palette, so yes you should get a copy for your boys), well spaced words, and cleanly laid out pages feels friendly enough for my daughter herself to pick it up to read and it will surely be read again and again. A triumph!
on 1 February 2009
I am a primary school teacher and at the end of the day I like to read to the class. This beautiful edition of Pippi Longstocking sat on my school bookshelf and although I could see that it was stunning (such beautiful illustrations and excellent quality of paper) I was unsure whether it would be the right book to read a class of 30 7 and 8 year old boys and girls. Surely Pippi Longstocking would be too girly for the boys to really enjoy.

From the very beginning of the story I found myself, and my children, enthralled. The character of Pippi, a girl who has lost both parents and lives alone, is a very engaging one. She gets up to mischief, causes trouble and tells tall tales! The book chronicles various adventures such as Pippi Goes to School and Pippi Goes to the Circus.

The stories are full of action and very funny. There were numerous points in the text where I had to stop because I was laughing so much. The children found the book to be funny and enchanting thus it made everyone (children and myself)happy when it came to reading this book.

I would definitely recommend this book, whether it be for teachers such as myself or parents wanting a book to share with their children. I would, in particular, recommend this edition because, in my opinion, Lauren Child's illustratons bring something special to the text. They are more than just pictures to accompany the writing but inventive ways of showing the story.

A must have!
on 24 October 2000
I read this book to be son (aged just 5) . He laughed so much that he fell off the bed! We finished the book in 3 evenings and then had to go straight back to the beginning and start again. Pippi lives on her own with no adult to impose bedtimes (or even to tell her which way up she should sleep in the bed) - surely every child has dreamed of having this freedom. My son loved the resulting element of anarchy in the book. Although various adults in the book do attempt to exert authority over Pippi she always outwits them. A child's fantasy world will be enriched and fortified by this book.
on 11 November 2010
I don't know who is enjoying this book more - my six year old son or myself. Pippi is a feisty character with a touch of the superhero about her and is as appealing to me now as she was when I was a kid. The book is fun for both of us to read out loud and as ever, Lauren Child's playful approach to image and text is delightful. The book isn't packed with illustrations but this leaves more room for one's imagination to take flight.
on 1 November 2010
At 8 o'clock we have with my daughters Pippi time,which not only them,but also me myself enjoy a lot.This is the best book we ever read together.I am going to buy more from this author.
on 19 January 2009
A beautiful book. And at a sensational price now too. I paid alot more than it is now as it was intended for a Christmas present for my daughter. So you will have a great deal if you can get your hands on a copy now. I must say, I don't mind having paid the higher amount - the book is worth every penny.
If you - like me - are an admirer of Lauren Child's work, you will not be disappointed. Not just the illustrations are fabulous, parts of the text are type-set in the spirally way familiar to the Charlie & Lola books, which was a lovely surprise. The four (limited edition) prints are quite small - the size of the book - but, if framed nicely will make nice decorative art for a little girl's bedroom.
As to the story: well, Pippi's a classic. And I don't think anyone needs telling that Astrid Lindgren's books are essential childhood reading. Timeless stories, brought into a fresh modern look, I can highly recommend this Lauren Child edition.
on 18 January 2003
Pippi is an incredible character and has a rather strange way of thinking.
Astrid Lingren has obviously thought of someone she knows, changed her name, and made her more peculiar than anyone else imaginable. She has done things differently from what I expected e.g. the two children who Pippi makes friends with aren't really puzzled by how odd she is.
My favourite bit in the book is when Tommy, Anika (Pippi's friends) and Pippi herself, go Turnupstuffing and her friends are amzingly lucky and find a necklace and a notepad, while Pippi finds a cotton reel and a rusty old ake tin! It made me laugh when she was so pleased with them!
You have to read it!
Poppy age 9
Have just read this collection of short stories to my six-year-old daughter. Pippi Longstocking is an eccentric girl with a pet monkey, a horse and a collection of gold coins who buys a cottage in a quiet little village (in 1940s Sweden), moves in, and proceeds to live life exactly as she pleases. This is my daughter's ultimate fantasy!

She makes friends with neighbouring children Tommy and Annika, and as the local adults wring their hands about a child living on her own, Pippi, with extreme good nature and playfulness, has fun with anybody who tries to control her, from bullies to burglars to policemen to schoolteachers to a very irate circus ringmaster.

The stories are still fresh and have very little period detail that needs explaining. They are very lively, and my daughter has requested the other two books in the series.
on 12 June 2011
Bought this for our lad (who enjoys Pippi Longstocking), on the grounds that it was an unabridged reading, and we've been enjoying the gift version of the book together. An audio book would mean he could also listen in his room of an evening, and independently. Unfortunately, this is an American version, so "holidays" become "vacations" and so on. Whilst our son did enjoy the audio, he was somewhat confused by the differing vocabulary used, and initially thought we'd bought the wrong story. Our child likes to listen to audio books whilst following the printed version, or just between our readings of the same books, so we'd have preferred to know that this audio *wasn't* the same version we'd been reading.
on 16 January 2011
I bought this book for my 7 year old daughter having fond memories of reading the stories myself as a child. The book is square and almost A4 in length - and is beautifully written and illustrated. My daughter - who does have an advanced reading age adores the book. I thought the book made a marvellous gift and was great value.