Pippi Longstocking
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 11 August 2017
Grandchildren aged 11,10 and 6 all loved it and looked forward to hearing it each night. It had been difficult to find something that suited all of their age groups ( and mixed gender). I was concerned that both Pippi's parents had died, so I skated over that bit. Also it's a bit dated as some of the discussion of people from other countries sounded racist.
on 9 November 2014
This is such a beautiful book to read my children! The story is wonderful and it's a true family treasure now where both children love to hear a chapter! I am clinging to this book and making sure it goes into my adult bookcase! Certainly too nice for my little ones just yet! Will save this for when they become mothers! The pictures are wonderful and the type set is lovely.
on 12 May 2013
This was bought for my six year old daughter.
Although she is a free reader, she still likes to be read to at bedtime, and when we ran out of book to read, she used some of her savings to buy this book.
Have always liked the work of Lauren Child (when she was younger, my daughter was a big fan of Charlie and Lola), but I had never come across the story of Pippi Longstocking before.
The book is brilliantly illustrated, and the small gift edition is a perfect size for my daughter to re-read this to herself now that we have finished it.
The story itself was a little unconventional, but my daughter really enjoyed it.
on 29 August 2011
I knew the name Pippi Longstocking but I didn't read any of her stories when I was a child, so this book was something new to me. Anyway, my 8-y.o. daughter received it as a present and thoroughly enjoyed it, and so did I. Pippi is an engagingly quirky, almost anarchic character, and this is a collection of short stories detailing some of her adventures. I was worried that seeing as the tales are over sixty years old, they might seem a little dated - Enid Blyton's work from the same era comes across as a little old-fashioned these days - but no, they're timeless. The stories are riproaring, and the illustrations are lovely, as Lauren Child captures Pippi's innocently devilish attitude perfectly. Now, when my daughter attends the birthday party of one of her friends, we often choose this book as a present.
on 19 September 2012
I bought this book after searching for a book for my 9 year old and I to read together,after reading it on night 1 she took it to bed with her and has found the first book she has truly been captivated by. She reads and reads at night until her eyes hurt or she falls asleep, when I say to her shall we read it together she says "no, only I'm allowed to read Pippi" but then when she reaches the next chapter I hear laughter followed "Mum, you'll never guess what the next chapters called!!" A truly lovely story for girls (and boys I would imagine) to read.
on 14 March 2017
I love Pippi Longstocking book. It was the first book i ever read and it stuck with me. I would highly recommend it to everybody no problem.
on 20 October 2013
I've been looking for a book to entice my 10 year old daughter to read! I remember this book when I was a young girl and hoped it would be one she enjoyed....she did! She still isn't a book worm and I doubt she ever will be, but I have caught her reading several times with out being asked so it defiantly a start! Going to order another in the hope she'll read on holiday!
on 15 February 2015
We went for a family walk recently and crossing a stile I saw a handwritten sign for 'Beware of the Bull'. I immediately made reference to the book wishing Pippi Longstocking was around to sort the bull out if he appeared. So lovely is it to read Pippi's crazy (and carefully implemented) actions that I carry the stories around with me. My 9 year old really enjoyed the book.
The bull didn't appear, probably in a shed having a cuppa, so we made it safely to the other side of the field......
on 12 February 2018
I couldn't find for the Pippi Longstocking story book that I used to read to my children, so I bought this as a replacement to read to my grandchildren. They love it every bit as much as my own children did 35 years ago!
on 24 September 2017
Brilliant book my 7 year old is now a fan.