Customer reviews

A collection of Dinosaur poems selected by John Foster and illustrated by Korky Paul. They have worked together previously on Oxford poetry anthologies but I found this one particularly good. My granddaughter, 5+ years, is crazy about dinosaurs and a huge fan of 'Dinosaur Poems'. She finds the poems funny but in no way dumbed down which presents her with a reading challenge, particularly the names of the dinosaurs, and keeps her interested. The illustrations of large, fierce monsters with a great many teeth is another plus!. At approx. 36 pages, paperback version, this is a great book for a bedtime read and neither myself or my granddaughter tire of reading it. Lots of fun for children in the 5+ age group.
on 15 July 2013
My grandson, who is almost 4 absolutely loves this book. Every time he comes to the house he asks us to read it and he recites the poems to himself all the time. A great buy!
on 30 July 2002
This book of poems is great fun to read for adults and kids alike. My four year old is daft for dinosaurs and simply couldn't get enough but as parents we didn't tire reading it. The poems are not just silly rhymes either, (though there are some), they are challenging too. James and the Dinosaur is stimulating on a whole range of levels for instance. Most important of all for younger kids, many in the collection are truly memorable. See Dinosauristory for instance which captures the hugeness of a diplodocus, or the silliness of the vegetarian stegosaurus in Stegosaurus. Final comment, we borrowed it several times from our local library but just had to buy it in the end.
on 10 April 2011
Never have we had a book that needed to be repeatedly read to our 4 year old grand daughter at least twice every day for a week whilst we were on holiday!!
After a while it was the last one that had to be read first because it caused such hilarity.
on 3 January 2013
a beautiful, funny book. Made me smile and is great for children who are just starting to read.. I think.....
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 January 2016
Great teaching resource, especially to engage the boys who "do not like poems"! Each poem has a slight twist and some can be slightly tricky to tell which make them all so much more fun! It would be a good book to use as part of a topic on: big animals or mythical creatures.
on 11 July 2011
Good points.

Most are the traditional type rhymning poems (which I personnally prefer to read out loud).
Good illustrations.

Bad points

Note that long (shorter than other antholgies such as twinkle twinkle chocolate bar, or whizz bang orangotang).
Still has (the now replaced) Brontosaurus

Summary

Well worth the money.
on 2 September 2014
good stuff, a little all over the place in age groups and some a bit rubbish and boring but still worth a purchase for one or two of them
on 9 August 2014
Some really good poems, however a few were a little hard for my six yr to understand
on 18 February 2017
My little boy loves this book perfect for someone who likes dinosaurs