Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Have to say I really enjoyed the message running through 'The really, really, really BIG dinosaur'. It's about teaching children to share and make friends. Richard Byrne has been clever with his dinosaur storytelling and there's enough complexity to keep younger children hooked in. There aren't too many words and this is a perfect book for a bedtime read. Illustrations are quite funky, contemporary, and should appeal to most children. Nice quality and large enough for little fingers to manage comfortably without the book slipping from their grip. I read 'The really, really, really BIG dinosaur' to my granddaughter (3 years) this morning and she enjoyed it; especially when the 3rd dinosaur appeared and the whole story changed direction.

I usually give 3* for these books. There are so many of them around and they follow such a tried and tested formula it's hard to tell them apart. I've upgraded to a 4* review simply because of the unexpected twists and turns running through the story. Cleverly written and nicely constructed which makes a pleasant change for this genre.
VINE VOICEon 12 May 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The first thing to note about 'The really, really, really big dinosaur' is its bold, confident, colourful illustrations. Byrne obviously knows what he's doing and what he wants to achieve. He has an eye for composition and his colour pallete is well chosen. This is combined with a practiced, simple and effective drawing style.

The story is simple too and perhaps isn't quite as good as the drawing. Not that it didn't interest my three-and-a-half year old; just that we haven't returned to it as much as some other stories. However, a sample of one child isn't enough to judge a book on and others may get more out of it than we did. That said it is a cautionary tale for would be bullies that may always be someone bigger than yourself. As an adult I would have, perhaps, liked a different 'message' about the resolution of bullying but then again what we tell small children is that if you're being bullied is always to seek the help of a teacher or parent.

Overall, I/we like this book, though it's not a favourite as yet. I would recommend it, simply because it is so well done.
on 8 May 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I ordered this for my son who is almost 2, although he is a bit too young to understand the moral of the story, we enjoyed it none the less.

The illustrations are great, I liked the way the text was brought alive by different sizes and styles.

At the moment my son is just enjoying the pictures and repetition of words but I am sure as he gets older he will appreciate the meaning of the story.
VINE VOICEon 26 April 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a a lovely picture book for young children - I'd say 2 upwards. The illustrations are fun and form an important part of the central joke in the story - my 3 year old grand daughter spotted Tinosaur's really , really. really big friend half way through the book, way before I did! The text uses repetition, variations in the size and shape of the words, and dotted lines to bring the story to life and help us follow the clues. Concepts of sharing, relative size, friendship - and showing off - are covered in a very appropriate way for 2 - 6 year olds. And dinosaurs are always popular: recommended.
VINE VOICEon 22 April 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The colorful book arrived in the post at the same time as my grandson (three and a half) arrived so we were both excited about getting started. The story has a moral to it being that if you are a show off and always demanding things it won't always bring you friends.

The book tells us how Finlay is sitting on a grass mound counting out jelly beans for him and his friend when a big dinosaur arrives on the scene. As the story progresses we realise that Finlay is not sitting on the grass but sitting on ....................... who is his friend.

This is a great book with just enough words and bright pictures for young toddlers. I think this will become a favorite with my grandson and me.

30 April - since receiving this book it is read every time I see my grandson so I was right in it becoming a favourite. He had to draw a picture at nursery of his favourite book and this was it.
on 29 April 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The more children's picture books I read, the more I realise that many of the stories are pretty similar. This is probably not the fault of the author, but an inevitability when trying to tell a simple story in only a limited number of words. One staple is about a bully picking on the smaller person/creature, only to be warned there is an even bigger friend on the way. This is basically the synopsis of `The Really, Really, Really Big Dinosaur' by Richard Byrne, the story of a little dinosaur and a slightly bigger dinosaur that should have known better.

The most fun in the book is not actually found first time you read it. The story is a little bland, but the reveal is fun. What is enjoyable is re-reading the book and spotting the clues of what is about to happen; what exactly are they sitting on? With this in mind, `Really' should become one of those repeat books that entertains more for the `Where's Wally' spotting fun, rather than the tale. The illustrations are bold, but a little bland in places, not something that really stands out from the other books on the shelf. I am also not a huge fan of some of the fonts used to tell the story, not the clearest.

`Really' is a very solid children's book that some children will love, whilst others will be reminded of the superior `The Gruffalo' and wish to pick that up again instead.
VINE VOICEon 21 April 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I really liked the artist's big and bold style in this book. It gives the dinosaur characters (especially the smaller dinosaur) some lovely little moments. However, the message of the actual story is a bit muddled. It's a nice idea to try and stand up to and deal with bullies but is threatening/baiting them with how you might have a bigger/better friend than them really the way to do it? I suppose it might lead to some useful discussion if your little one is having any friendship difficulties at school. It does have a good message that bullies often think they're better than other people just because of their size and how that only lasts until someone bigger (in intelligence or physical bulk) proves them wrong.
VINE VOICEon 21 April 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Really, Really, Really Big Dinosaur by Richard Byrne is an enjoyable Children's book. The story tells the tale of a small dinosaur called Findlay who is enjoying his jelly beans. A big dinosaur tries to take Finlay's jelly beans until Finlay tells the big dinosaur about his even bigger friend. The big dinosaur doesn't believe him and results in an amusing game of "anything your friend can do I can do better". This is an excellent book with wonderfull colour illustrations. It also teaches children about sharing things and making new friends.
VINE VOICEon 8 May 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I teach Foundation (4-5 year olds) and they loved this book when I read it to them. It's a story about sharing, friendship, and how to have a good attitude. There is a good dinosaur and an unkind dinosaur and a nice twist about an 'imaginary friend' which my kids did guess but only when the story was at a point where it was giving visual clues in the pictures. It has lovely illustrations, different font effects which interested the children and a fantastic moral that had the children all talking and sharing ideas about how to be a good friend, what they were good at (based on the unkind dinosaurs boasts) and more. I liked that the ending showed how the unkind dinosaur was now making good choices and sharing and being friends with them.

I would throughly recommend this book.
on 18 June 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a cheeky, fun story confronting the idea of what to do if someone bigger than you picks on you. It does this in a really charming way and the illustrations are bright and quirky. It also covers the theme of friendship in a way that many a more rambunctious toddler will find fun. In some respects it is quite a typically 'boyish' affair, but at that age I don't think its always helpful to think too gender-specifically (I have been reading it with my little daughter). If your child likes a fun, quick, energetic read, either with you or on their own, then this is a great book. There is something about the illustrations too which I think could see them being copied and re-drawn by a budding artist with tiny hands.