Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 December 2003
Follow Me Down isn't likely to be my favourite book of the year but it is certainly a compelling read! The characters were original and interesting. Sometimes it's hard to really care about characters in novels but I found Tom and "the freaks" very likable. I enjoyed the storyline and as I turned the last page, I found myself reluctant to put this book away.
When your other books are unappealing, you'll appreciate this as a less demanding read. Which no book shelf should be without.
on 12 July 2003
This is a wonderful tale, extremely original and full of great characters. It involves the reader in real modern day issues with Tom's mother and grandmother, and takes us back in time to some fascinating and unusual issues and characters of the 19th Century. The 'freaks', Astra, Malachi Twist, the Gorilla Woman and the rest of them, truly come alive for us, and their stories, sometimes very funny, sometimes sad, build up to a really exciting climax. Highly recommended!
on 11 January 2014
Enjoyed it immensley. Very different. Went on to read all the others I could find. The Merrybegot is also good. I like the way the author writes. Addresses issues of mortality and sickness, human frailty.
on 20 November 2015
Well-written, but a bit slow to start. The characters are engaging though, and there's one scene that actually made me laugh out loud.

The ending was a bit confusing, but I liked it.