Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 May 2001
Elly and her mum are looking after her auntie's house while she is in hospital. Elly's mum has noticed that there is an old tudor mansion near where they are and Elly decides to come too(after much persuasion). As soon as she steps through the door she feels eerie and senses that the house doesn't like her.She also meets a boy,Hugh Morton whose family used to own the house.Later while in her bedroom she hears singing and finds a girl in seventeenth century clothing singing in the woods.As time goes by she tries to unravel a mystery from the past. She also finds out a secret about her own family.
I thought this was a great book and I felt that although Elly wants to find out about the weird going-on's she seems to be scared by it. The only part of the book I didn't enjoy was the end.To me it seemed rushed almost...If you haven't read this book yet then I would strongly recommend you to read this book as soon as possible.
on 7 September 2001
I find it really hard to get into a book. Whether it be the lack of time, schoolwork, social life or whatever, the fact remains that I find it really really tedious. But Red Velvet was brilliant. I literally couldn't put it down! The plot is so good and the story really flows. The characters are very realistic and I guess that helped me relate to and interract with the book better. Definitely a must-read.
on 18 June 2003
I was assigned this book as part of an English project. I read the blurb on the back of the book and it sounded okay. The opening of the book was fairly good as the author created a tense atmosphere with the discovery of a human skeleton found in a large wooden chest in the attic. As I became more involved in the book the characters actions became predictable and it wasn’t long before I found the book a chore to pick up and read because of this. As the story continued I found the plot almost transparent as I almost knew what was going to happen next. When I finally reached the end of the book I was extremely disappointed with the absolutely appalling ending of what appeared at first to be an excellent book.
The book is supposed to be a thriller, but there is absolutely nothing thrilling about it. As a fan of thrillers from authors like Tom Clancy, Chris Ryan and Andy McNab I know a good thriller when I read one and this book certainly isn’t one.
If there is one thing I have taken from the book is that you should never judge a book by it’s cover.
on 18 June 2003
I found it really hard to get into this book. Whether it be the lack of time, schoolwork, social life or whatever, the fact remains that I found it really really tedious. But Red Velvet was rubbish. I literally could put it down! The plot was good and the story really flows. The characters are very realistic and I guess that helped me relate to and interact with the book better. Definitely a must-read. This book was a let down. I thought it would better then it actually was! I became bit confused when she went and became some one else in another time it was really freaky! The description was excellent but the book in a nutshell was horrifying, not in the way that good the story was but the way it was so rubbish. Carol hedges if your going to sell a book makes it good, make sure the reader doesn't want to put it down and frankly I couldn't wait to put it down love! I tried a new style that I wouldn't usually go for but this book has put me right off mysteries. I feel carol hedges has let me down as an author and when she gets a descent book call me! Other then that it was great!