Customer reviews

on 5 January 2013
A lot of my family are Scottish but I have lived for the most part of my life in England and so have 'lost touch' if you like, with my roots. I wanted to make sure my children were given a good portion of 'Scottish knowledge' (not forgetting Grandad's tales from his youth of course!), so bought this as well as a basic children's history of Scotland to begin with while they are young. I have found the stories lovely and very suitable. There is such an obvious difference to the feel of the Scottish myths and stories from the English ones, even with those of similar themes, they seem for fail of a better description far more 'raw', although extremely exciting for little boys! Lots of mentioning of purple heather and porridge oats and so on too! Some tales I had never heard of, but a couple are very similar to other more well known tales. The Fox and the Bannock is very close to the good old Gingerbread man tale, but my children like this just as much. I am pleased wih my purchase, as are my kids- and their Grandad!
on 27 August 2013
I was looking for a book to be the reading accompaniement to a week travelling the highlands with my kids. It proved perfect , helping fill the landscape with the charachters of the Scottish legends.