Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 July 2017
Children in nursery school like the story.
on 1 March 2017
good
on 5 May 2015
It's hard to write a review of a children's book when you're an adult, because you can never quite get the perspective right. For this reason, I will simply say that I bought this book for my 7 year old, as I knew the ending would tickle his quirky little funnybone.

The book is simply enough written that a 7 year old with average reading skills could readily have a bash at reading the good-sized text him/herself. Having said that, my approach to this book was to read it to my son with all the best inflection I could muster, in order to engage his interest in the story, in the hope that afterwards he would want to have a go himself. The illustrations are bright, big bold, and quite humorous; certainly good enough to keep young minds engaged.

As I said, it's difficult to apply a child's verdict, but I will say this... My son absolutely loved the story, and the ending (as I suspected) tickled him pink. He loved the gift of this book so much, that he (achingly sweetly) bought me a book home from his school library on frogs as a thank you (I love frogs, always have done - don't judge me!). I think that says it all really.... Except I loved the book too.
on 7 April 2011
This book is one of my all time favourites to read to my children and, to me, is right up there with The Gruffalo, Room on the Broom etc. My children are 7 and 3 and they love this book. I cannot believe the review that says it is disturbing and frightening! Some people need to lighten up. It's the way you read a book that makes it exciting and funny. The story builds up really well and the ending is totally unexpected and FUNNY! And another plus point - it's not too long, so great for bedtime.
on 19 May 2001
Well, What can i say about this book. It's fabulous. Richard Waring teaches at my school and he takes an activity called Story Writing. After you read this book, you will know why. This book is a great read. I bought it for my little cousins and they always get me to read it to them. It's their favourite book and always pick ito ut at story time. The illustration is great and the use of language is clear and understandable for young children.
on 6 November 2012
Last week my 6 year old little girl came home from school and said "daddy, we read Hungry Hen at school today, I love it. Please can you buy it." I thought, yeah why not.....even though money is tight and we are in a double dip recession. I thus worked a few extra hours and did some night shifts at the local woollen mill. The extra gold sovereigns I earnt were put towards purchasing this book and by Joe was I not let down. She loved the book. With its colourful illustrations and funny story it is a real winner. Nice 1.
on 7 August 2001
It's amazing how so much drama can be squeezed into such a short book. The pictures are wonderful, and my nephew takes this to bed every night.
on 18 March 2011
I bought this book for my son, because he loves wolf and he loved it but I also want to let you know that I love it to.
on 6 August 2016
Lovely story and what a twist at the end! The children (aged 4-5 years) loved it.
on 29 April 2016
Great book with an unexpected twist at the end:-)