Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 May 2010
I hadn't studied Maths for more than 10 years (and had hated it at school), but need to pass Intermediate 2 in order to further my education. Basically worked through this book on my own over the last few months and it pretty much does exactly what it says on the tin and prepares you fairly well for the exam in my opinion (I haven't sat the exam yet but consistently get more than 75% doing past papers and passed all the assessments for my self-study course). However...

If anyone was employed to check that the answers are correct then that person was stealing a wage. There are an inexcusable number of errors in it - on numerous occasions I was pulling my hair out wondering why my answer was different to the book (and I presumed wrong as I didn't have much confidence in my ability), only to be told by my tutor 'oh yeah, the book is wrong'! Totally unacceptable in a textbook.
on 6 November 2009
I got this book in preparation for going to college.It is a good book but if you are considering buying you need to be aware that
it gives very little help in any of the fields it covers.If you are not very familar with anything other than basic maths,I'd suggest another book:Chambers Adult Learner's guide by Geoff Mainwaring.
If you are familiar with intermediate 2 you'll have no problems.
on 21 December 2011
I was encouraged to buy this from college. However I never once used it! I found it quite complex at times. I believe that the maths can be displayed in a more simple way. The amount of text is off putting. It is boring to read too. Why not make maths books lot more appealing and simple to understand. It did not help me in the slightest. Thank goodness I had a fab teacher who helped me achieve my A grade.
on 13 October 2014
I am taking the Int2 Maths as a distance learning course and bought this book as it was recommended by the course provider. I'm very new to Maths, having only done Standard Grade level at school some 16 years ago. I found this book pretty useless when explaining theory and process, its really just an activity book and although it may come in useful for revision its pretty useless if you're someone like me who doesn't really have the basic Maths knowledge. I am disappointed as I have been struggling through trying to work out the course on my own, I've given up with this book but have purchased another which will hopefully explain more.
on 7 November 2014
I have been doing a distance learning maths course to gain access to a postgraduate course, I have found the book to contain a fair few mistakes and poor explanations. This book is okay if you already know what you are doing but if you don't understand how to work things out, the explanations aren't great. I also have the Intermediate 1 version of this book and find it as much use as this one. I haven't done maths for around 10 years and whilst I am sure this is a great book if you do maths regularly or are still in school, it's not as great for folks returning to maths after a long period of time. Perhaps the University need to revisit their teaching aids and textbook selection.
on 21 November 2010
Basically this book is simply a series of questions (very rarely is anything explained), and many of the answers in the back are wrong (it would be interesting to know if the teachers version of the book has these mistakes).

I was told to buy it for my distance learning course, Im am not very impressed with it... you really need another book to get all the info you need to do the questions in this one!!!
on 2 January 2012
Mistakes in questions, examples and answers. Don't know how you are allowed to still sell this book. Waste of money and provided a lot of stress while studying.
on 29 September 2009
My son is in 4th year and his tutor highly recommended this book. It has helped him a lot, his school also use this book. He takes it everywhere with him, along with his football boots :)
on 28 June 2011
The book arrives quickly but was not in very good condition. It does however do the job so not really a problem. Don't think the accuracy of description was very good.
on 24 September 2011
Great book which is required for Maths Intermediate 2 subject which is being done at College - very useful information contained therein