on 17 March 2014
I particularly like the way Craig Johnson develops his characters and plot lines slowly thus giving the reader the same information that Walt and his team are dealing with which, I find, tends to draw me further into the story. All the main characters are well drawn with a fair bit of backstory and are, largely, likeable and the descriptions of Wyoming have made me want to go there! The books deal with modern themes: jealousy, murder, human trafficking but there is also a lot of humour, especially in the exchanges between Walt and Henry Standing Bear. If you enjoy a really well written book then I thoroughly recommend The Walt Longmire Mysteries.
on 18 January 2016
Really enjoyed these 4 stories. They are sufficiently similar to the TV series that I can say it's a safe bet: if you like the TV show, you'll like these. They are sufficiently different to the TV show that nothing is spoilt... in fact there are some very entertaining surprises. I feel this is like an American version of the "Nordic Noir" type stories. I prefer these to the Jack Reacher stories that I've also been listening to - I feel the characters and stories have more depth and the stories build and keep you guessing right to the end. The descriptions really capture my imagination.
on 9 July 2015
This was a really good bargain. I bought them for my Dad as a birthday present as he is a big fan of the tv series. Luckily he finds the books a very good read and are full of humour that does not appear as much as in the show. He also says Moreno's character (Katee Sackhoff on tv) tends to swear a lot!
on 4 April 2014
If. like me, you decided to check out these books because you've enjoyed the TV series, I'd say go ahead. I think they are well written, and have more character detail etc. than can be covered in an hour's episode on the TV, obviously. However, despite the fact that the illustration on the box is of the TV actor playing Longmire, be aware that the plots are NOT exactly the same as they are on TV, so bear in mind that a litlle 'rearranging' of what you thought you might already know about the characters and plot lines could be called for. But that is more than made up for by more detail and good writing.
on 17 July 2016
Hubby was taken with the tv series so wanted to read the books. He says that he should have read them firs then watched the series. They are good but the series takes the characters further
on 19 September 2014
I love this series of books. Much better than the stories on the tv. Although I think the actor is Longmire!!
on 24 November 2014