At first this feels like a one trick pony, with fairy tale characters texting and tweeting and maintaining their face book pages. I get it; modern social life. But wait. This is actually a sneaky, deeply cool book. It is composed of brief chapters of only a few sentences each; they're really more like captions to the accompanying illustrations. We hop from character to character, and chapter by chapter we learn a little bit more about the crises in each character's life. Peter Pan needs to grow up; Arthur needs to stop screwing around and act like a king; the Frog Prince can't score a date, much less a kiss. But these aren't played for jokes or silly laughs. Rather, each character hides some drama or hurt or disappoinment for which you begin to feel sympathy. In a detached, deadpan style the author draws you in to different versions of the angst that is modern life.

Here's an excerpt: "Little Red Riding Hood continued her masochistic tendencies with a string of terrible blind dates. The first guy was obviously a wolf in women's clothing, which was disturbing on multiple levels....And the last guy was James Franco. It was exciting for a minute, but then he started talking". If you think that line is brutal, funny and a little sad, then you'll like this book.

Everyone's here - Chicken Little, Alice, Rapunzel, Mulan, the Little Mermaid, Robin Hood, and so on. Everyone has some secret pain, some existential issue, some disappointment. Everyone is to some degree damaged and trying to get on with it. In style and effect this reminds me a lot of the work of Jules Feiffer in the '50's. (In a very early strip, filled with post-war anxiety about modern life in the big city, Feiffer put Oedipus on an analysts's couch in a toga and shades, saying, "All right... So I marry her. But did I know she was my mother? It's not like I was sick or something". That could be a page from this book.)

So, this book is way more than a novelty, and is a clever, sly, pointed commentary on our times. A nice, and unique, find.

Please note that I received a free advance ecopy of this book in exchange for a candid review. Apart from that I have no connection at all to either the author or the publisher of this book.
on 10 April 2014
I go on tumblr a lot so a book about my childhood combined with jokes about tumblr seems like a brilliant idea.

The book is rather funny but after a few pages, the stories tend to be nearly the same plus I'm not the biggest fan of the simple paragraphs, I'd guess I'd like an entire modern day version of a fairytale rather than a simple paragraph. This book won't make you laugh out loud but maybe breath a little more heavily through the nose or laugh internally. I think the book is a good satrical piece and I would recommend it for teens and up as it is sort of entertaining.
on 28 November 2013
I pre-ordered this having been a fan of the blog for ages and it does not disappoint! Extremely well observed and laugh out loud funny. Accurately captures the life of millennials hipsters in short vignettes about our favourite children's characters. Comforting to know it's not all happily ever after.
on 2 June 2014
This book was a brilliant read, I would certainly recommend it to anyone who likes short one-page stories, especially funny stories. This story was even better than I expected it to be and I hope to keep this book a long time and share the funny one-pagers with friends and family members as time goes on.
on 10 January 2014
Ideal gift for a teenager who loves twitter,tumblr etc. Some funny stories based on traditional tales. Clear layout and good illustrations.
on 9 June 2014
Beautiful illustrations and just awesome in all. Would really recommend to anyone, especially if you're into tumblr and social networking in general.
Great book!
on 23 February 2015
Amazing book, came a day earlier, great condition and over all really impressed
review image
on 29 July 2016
It's a funny and quirky book and is very enjoyable to read in spare time.
on 17 June 2015
Bought it for my Daughters 14th Birthday and she loved it
on 27 July 2014
Perfect Condition. No complaints!