on 25 July 2012
Others have described well the layout for this book, which features it has and which it lacks. The stories are pitched comfortably at the higher intermediate reader and you will occasionally have to use your dictionaries - the inclusion of furigana alongside new kanji compounds is helpful for digital dictionaries. The paper quality is similar to a typical English paperback novel and the text size is a little bigger than you would find in a typical small Japanese paperback - whilst I often struggle with Japanese paperbacks without the help of reading glasses I am able to read this without aid. This book is very much cheaper than most Kodansha Bilingual Books and Penguin are to be commended on producing such an affordable and readable book.
on 23 February 2017
Great book, easy to read and follow stories. The furigana is very helpful, it is used for every new kanji but if it appears again it is not used, unlike most other books that use furigana. I find it very good because it challenges you to remember the word. I'm currently preparing for the JLPT N2 and this book is an amazing reading practice for it. I highly recommend it.
on 11 April 2016
Bought it for my boyfriend for Christmas, and he absolutely loves it! It is challenging, so I wouldn't recommend it to beginners. It teaches a great deal when you're at the point when reading regular books in Japanese is a bit too much but you can follow a TV-show without subs just fine, and with a little bit of help, read lots of kanjis, and all the katakana and hiragana. I would recommend to have a kanji-dictionary handy when reading this book.
on 9 February 2017
I really like this book and the way it is structured.
I like that the japanese text is written from right to left and from up and down. I also like that the text in japanese is on the right page and on the left is the english translation. It looks really great; not only that but it is also very useful having eight short stories, starting from the easiest one and the more you go further the harder it gets.
on 6 April 2017
Well received by the recipient. Recommended.
on 31 May 2015
I used this book as extra study material for my Level 2 (beginner/intermediate) Japanese final exam and it markedly helped improve my reading speed. Strongly recommend to any other students or casual learners trying to improve their language skills as reading these stories is a really fantastic way to learn.
on 24 November 2012
great for someone that wants to advance their japanese level but hasnt the oppertnuity to be able to afford lessons or even a trip to japan! not recomended for the beginer as their are many kanji and grammar structures that may not be understood. well worth a read to increase vocab and great stories too!!
on 6 January 2015
Definitely perfect for my husband who is fluent in Japanese but wants to improve. He has been enjoying it.
on 11 November 2014
Perfect. Only Started the first few pages. There is enough stories here to last me a while. The only thing is there is no audio which would help me with Japanese pronunciation, but still seems like a good book because the translations are superb
on 8 January 2017
Good stories, the book has a really nice feel. It is what it is