Customer reviews

Democracy Matters
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 July 2014
Good
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 2 January 2016
This was a brilliant read. Moving, thoughtful and kind to others.

I don't live in America, but I like Cornel West's writing. What comes across in this book, is his ability to trod the academic world, and then walk comfortably in the streets, among everyday black people.

If I would add anything to the book, it would be a deeper look at the mythology attached to religion. Mythology, that continues to act as a veil over peoples eyes, as they outsource personal responsibility to - the supernatural.

I would also add, the failings of political and theological debate in being able to fuse together the history of slavery and the industrial revolution. Revolution which gave Europeans a misplaced sense of supremacy. The fact is that Europe and Europeans have been catapulted into the future on the back of slave labour. This has not been fully addressed in the book and leaves open space, for a halo to sit comfortably on the head of democracy.

I say get the book, and have a discussion with your friends.
on 31 July 2011
Service from the seller was first-class, the book however was less so. Having seen Dr. West discussing his politics on Al Jazeera I thought I'd give his book a go but, alas, the originality of his verbal responses do not translate to his written work as I had hoped. Still, a somewhat entertaining piece.
One person found this helpful
on 24 November 2006
You would be hard pushed to get a more dynamic insight into the social realities that face us today. This man is deep, versatile and clear-cut. Read this book and be blown away.
One person found this helpful