• March

Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 April 2006
It has been years since I read Little Women, but more recently I have visited Louisa May's home town of Concord. I picked this novel with scepticism as "sequels" or spinoffs rarely live up to the original piece.

I was totally absorbed by the book. Frequently I found myself unable to decide whether this was fiction or fact. The writing is excellent, the characters well drawn, and the novel written in first person (mostly from the view of March, occasionally with the voice of Marmee) which made it all the more immediate. I will be recommending this novel all over the place and buying more of Brooke's work.

As the review says, this is the tale of the father of the Little Women, and flicks between his present position as chaplain in the American Civil War and his past when he first visited the southern states as a pedlar in his youth. He is a staunch abolitionist with fixed views, but the book challenges these views in terms of his idealism versus practicalities of the age, and also explores where personal courage lies. But over and above these lofty ideals, this book is vividly written and a wonderful reading experience - which is what great fiction should be. A novel worthy of being placed alongside Little Women.

ps. Please don't be put off by the 'recommended by Richard and Judy' epithet!
on 31 July 2006
I found this book by accident in a local supermarket and bought the book solely off seeing the front cover! I was unhappy at first to discover that it linked to one of my personal favourites - the classic 'Little Women' as spin offs tend to be money making let downs, in my opinion.

However this was different, the link was underplayed and sensitive to what may have truly happened and the subject of the American Civil War combined with the personal battles of Mr.March between his conscience and his greed were excellent.

I very much enjoyed the read and this book has been given a place on my bookcase - a place I reserve solely for the books I feel could be future classics!
on 31 March 2006
Great concept I thought at first - remember Little Women by Louisa May Alcott? Well, this is the story of these girls' father during all the time he was away from them in the war. But despite the idea, the book somehow did not work for me. The book takes us forward and backwards in time (sometimes confusedly) as we read how the war broke the man physically and mentally. In letters home he doesn't reveal the true depth of horrors or moral dilemmas he faces - all to spare his family - and whilst some experiences rightly serve to outrage the reader, the plot seemed rather contrived. Couldn't Geraldine Brooks have ditched the connection with Little Women and told one man's war story in its own right.? Or does the book depend commercially on the link? I felt the book was hampered by its connection with Little Women. It seemed as if the author laboured to make the two stories come together in the end. The love, especially the sugary romance, between March and the perfect Marmie grated, whereas the horrifying message of war and what it does to people could have been explored better in its own right.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 April 2005
How many of us have read, often reread "Little Women" and wondered about the father? Amy, Beth and Jo are very much a part of our literary lives, but Pere March is missing. Now, thanks to the imaginative pen of Geraldine Brooks (Year of Wonders, 2001) we meet and come to know the man.
His story is primarily told through letters that he writes to his family, pens from the devastation of the Civil War. Stage and film actor Richard Easton inhabits the voice of this caring chaplain to tell listeners what March shares with his family and the horrors that he does not.
Captain March has gone to serve the Union forces, bolstered by his faith and high ideals. He's ill prepared to find himself amidst carnage and cruelty. He is assigned to teach on a plantation where he meets once again a beautiful slave whom he had known before his marriage.
The author vividly imagines early friendships between March and Emerson and Thoreau, as well as his first introduction to the woman who would become his wife. She will recall their early life a bit differently.
Those who enjoy history blended with richly conceived fiction will be well pleased with "March."
- Gail Cooke
on 24 January 2008
What a great story! 'March' is really well-written and researched and fills a neat gap in US Civil War literature.

'March' is the story of the girls' father in Louisa May Alcott's 'Little Women'. In 'Little Women' the girls' father is absent throughout the novel as he is away at war, and Geraldine Brooks has picked up on this thread and woven a wonderfully inspirational novel around the story of Mr. March. Through it she tests out the theme of the morality of war which works ok with the causes of the US Civil War, and re-integration into a normal existence after war - another sensitive subject.

March is an abolitionist and goes to serve for the Union cause as an army chaplain. He joins up in a moment of town fervour, only to find that he cannot join with his fellow townspeople and is left to find his way amongst strangers from another regiment. The writing - predominantly from March's point of view - varies between letters home to Marmee and recollections of earlier times, and stories he wouldn't consider writing about to Marmee and the girls.

It's very sympathetically written and you can't help but be affected by March's journey through the landscape of war. The book doesn't impinge on 'Little Women' until right at the very end when March returns home, so there's no overlap with the all-time classic by Louisa May Alcott, and it complements 'Little Women' really well. Can't recommend it enough!
on 16 July 2006
this is a beautifully written book. It falls within the genre of a "classic", and brought me back to all the wonderful books that I read when studying literature..

Of course the "self rightuousness" is paramount... but isn't that exactly the point which the book is trying to make... it reveals the difference between those who "talk" about abolition as an ideal, and those who actually live it...

I was drawn into this book from the very first page, and would recommend that anyone who wants to "feel" the elements of the past should not hesitate to buy it.
on 8 May 2006
I, too, was sceptical about this book as 'spin offs' so rarely seem to work; but I was so wrong! This is a wonderful book. It is beautifully written, historically very interesting, and very moving. March himself is a real flesh and blood character - someone I came to care about, but someone with character flaws that make him very believable. There is a fine line to be trodden between describing the true horrors of war, and keeping the writing readable, and this novel treads that line well - there are truly shocking events, which are very thought provoking, but the action is never gratuitous.I thought the links with 'Little Women' were perfect and never over played. I loved this book and will be recommending it far and wide!
on 4 August 2015
What a fantastic story. I have just finished it and will read it again because there is so much in it to appreciate. The book has everything; a good story, delightful descriptions, emotional entanglements. It is 'unputdownable'.
on 11 May 2006
I found the first half of this book very slow and plodding. I am afraid Marmee made me cringe with her self righteous rage and it all felt just too contrived. The second half did get better and I would far rather have read more about the slave trade and the conditions in which these people survived, than the muddled recollections of our Mr March. I did enjoy The Year of Wonder even though that is also a very slow read but would not suggest this book to anyone else to read.
on 7 December 2015
Overall score: 6.9/10
Choice comments: “Good story, bit of American history, sympathetic characters”
“An interesting account of slavery/ war, but got a bit annoyed with the sanctimonious self-absorbed goon that was Mr March after a while.”