on 20 November 2013
Great story, a fairy tale with a difference, Was absorbed in it from the first chapter. Now reading next book in series.
on 9 April 2013
This trips along at a pace that makes it impossible to put it down. Full of images that are beautifully written, can't recommend it more highly.
on 27 September 2007
One of the reviewers on the US site says "If you read only one fantasy book this year, read this one". She's right. It's a treat - a thoroughly captivating, well-written, character-rich story that just draws you in and keeps you there right until the very last word. So few books satisfy in this way.

Don't be put off by the 9-12 age group that it's recommended for - it's a book for all age groups, from 9 to 99, and Laini Taylor deserves a huge audience.

I can't wait for Silksinger to be published!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 December 2007
I have read many books about fairies this year but this was the best of the lot. Okay, while I was reading the others I thought the same thing, but this book was a stand out!

Magpie is a fairy who is a devil catcher. Humans have been letting them out to plague the world. She is the only one who has the ability to make the glyphs to rid the world of these foul beings. She finds that a new devil, one who is different and scarier than the rest, has been let out, as well.

She tracks him down in Dreamdark, the home of the fairies. His name is Blackbringer. He is going to destroy the whole world by unraveling the tapestry and swallowing the world into darkness and shadow. Through many adventures, Mags and her crows and a few other fairies wake up a Djinn, fight many frightful devils, and find out the true history of Dreamdark and the birth of Magpie.

I was fascinated with the mythology that has been invented for this book. The world was dreamed by the powerful Djinns and there used to be many creatures in this world that have been hunted out of existence by humans. BLACKBRINGER was a delightful read full of roller-coaster adventures and surprises. I sure hope Laini Taylor writes more about Magpie, the crows, Poppy, Talon, and the Magruwen.

Reviewed by: Marta Morrison
on 20 July 2007
In the interest of full disclosure, let me start out by saying that I know the author of this book, so I expected to like it. I did have reservations going in, however, being that the only fantasy books I own have the words Harry and Potter in them. I am a Jane Austen, , occasional chick lit, sometimes heavy english literature kind of girl.

That said, she had me at Hello. Or in this case 'So much depended on this tiny faerie whom dreams had at last made real'.This book is extraordinary. I was pulled into the world of Dreamdark from the beginning and could do nothing except finish reading it.

Magical is a good way to describe this book, both in content and execution. The world of Dreamdark that Laini has created is as rich and full as the language she uses to describe it. The story is a lavishly woven tapestry of color, characters, mythology, history, dreams and magic. The sense of brotherhood and of purpose of some, and the lack of it in others is what makes this story one worth finishing as quickly as possible, simply to find out what Magpie and her crows do and how she handles it.

If you are looking for a book that fires your imagination, then I highley recommend it. This book is for anyone of any age who is looking for an adventurous ride thorugh a new land with a female hero of the age.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 January 2016
I love Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone series, and like many other readers, I finished reading it and swiftly started fan girling and looked up everything else she had ever written! Turns out she had written this first.

Dreamdark is about the extraordinarily lovable Magpie "Pie" Windwitch. A tiny little faerie with a job to do - hunt down all the bad guys (Djinn's). Effectively she's a devil hunter travelling with style on a bunch of pretty hilarious crows. And unless she can stop the Blackbringer, the token super bad guy, the world she knows and loves will be destroyed.

I admit to being slightly disappointed at first with this book. The book takes off very slowly with an awful lot of dialogue that doesn't do much for world building or character identification. I found the first 20% or so hard work for this reason and didn't particularly see where it was going. There's also a take on a Scottish dialect which is difficult to get your head around initially, or was for me, with the occasional "Ye's" and "aye's" and "nay's" but I quickly got used to this and found it endearing.

However, with a bit of perseverance, this book actually turned into a more gripping read with a much faster paced plot. I thought Taylor did a fantastic job of developing Blackbringer into a genuinely creepy villain and the language she used really brought him to life for me. Fans of her work will definitely recognise this of her and will enjoy the graphic imagery she creates.

Additionally, it's difficult not to warm to Magpie and her crow friends. She's a fantastic and observant narrator with a big heart. Her relationship with her crows was wonderful and a fun read.

After reading all the fantsstic reviews I think I was expecting this book to pack more of a punch, I really expected to be sucked into this new world and to love it. I have to admit that, despite my genuine desire to love this, I couldn't really get into it. It is a solid read with enjoyable characters, but it was just a bit too difficult to get into initially and I wasn't fully immersed into Mapgies world and glued to the pages like I'd hope. Nervertheless, I do recommend this to fellow fans of faerie fiction and especially of Taylor's lyrical writing, its just a bit of a slow burner.
on 19 January 2014
*Sigh*
Finally it's over.

Faeries of Dreamdark: Blackbringer has a great concept with Magpie Windwich being a Devil Hunting fairy who travels with crows around the land to capture the escaped snags and put them back in their bottles. There's a new problem in her fun filled world and its called the Blackbringer and its going to destroy Dreamdark if Magpie cant stop it!

However the book just seemed to go on and on and on and on and on and....... and on and on.
While the plot was a gripping idea the actual story was....boring.
After reading Daughter of Smoke and Bone I knew that Laini Taylor was one for making poetry out of words, thus making the story longer. However in this story it never worked in favour and instead made this book long winded and hard to convince oneself to pick up the damn book and finish it.

At times this book was good and I found myself wondering what was going to happen next eagerly turning the page....to find Im back to reading something of no interest whatsoever.

I loved the crows in this book though, I love how caring they are towards Magpie and how they treat her like one of their own, the dialogue was also a good if not risky idea, as not many people can understand the aye's, nays and kens of the Scottish language. It gave the characters a bit more depth to them and made them a little more likable.

I did find myself thinking of this story to be much like Fern Gully, I know the story is a completely different thing but the way Magpie's character comes across made me picture the stubborn fairy in that cartoon.

the reason for the two stars is simple. I really wanted to but didn't enjoy the story, and I found its saving graces to be the minor characters and the dialogue.
I dont like rating less than two as I understand that a lot of effort goes into writing the stories and regardless of my opinion on a book (unless I find it truly terrible) no book deserves a one star rating

I look forward to the next installment of Daughter of Smoke and Bone Miss Taylor!
on 7 November 2012
Magpie Windwitch is an adventurous fairy, who hunts, captures and imprisons devils in their ancient bottles. However, when an old evil named Blackbringer wants to unmake the world it is up to Magpie and her friends to save Dreamdark. This is a well written fantasy which is very descriptive and in-depth, Magpie is a strong and independent Fairy, and this book has lovely drawings so you can picture all the different characters. This book should be more well-known than it is and I recommend it to everyone who likes fantasy with a brilliant story.
on 4 October 2009
This book contains the story of Magpie Windwitch, a Faerie with a peculiar heritage. Said story is imaginative, the descriptions in it are vivid, and its characters are well rounded.

The story is grittier than you might expect from a young-adult book about faeries - there is death and betrayal. There's evil. There's moral ambiguity. Despite this, it never ceases to be a fun read, because the locations and characters are wonderfully realised, and because the story never wanders into complete hopelessness. It isn't all gritty, though - it is after all a story about little winged people that flit about. It's a story about friendship, about self-reliance, and about being true to oneself. It's a story about overcoming one's weaknesses, playing to one's strengths, and not giving up in the face of loss.

As for the negatives, it is a little predictable now and again (though this may be because of clever foreshadowing). Some of the subplots get resolved a little bit quickly for my taste.

It isn't flawless, but it is what I described in the title - the most fun I can remember having while reading a book. If that doesn't deserve a 5/5, I don't know what does.
on 30 September 2013
I loved this book. I read Smoke and Bone and thought it was okay, okay enough to make me buy Blood and Starlight on Kindle when I needed something to read. I enjoyed that one more, so looked for another book by her when I finished it. I found this and it was so much better than I was expecting!

It hasn't got the darkness of the Smoke and Bone books (especially the second one) and is very simply told, so I assume it's a children's book. It doesn't lose anything for that though. It's a perfect little fairy tale. A fairy tale about fairies! I love the writing style, and the way the characters spoke really transported you to their world. The affection between Magpie and the crows is lovely.

I'm reading another book now and my mind is still travelling back to this one, I miss being in this world. Testament to how good it is!

I mostly read dark fantasy or dystopia books, so it was really nice to read a fairy tale book with a happy ending.

I liked it so much I'm going to buy a real one now (I read it on Kindle) so my family can read it too.