on 27 January 2007
Well written, pacy, and gripping. As an English teacher I'm always on the look out for books to recommend to my students and I have sung the praises of this one! The main character, Charlie, can speak Cat (domestic and wild), and the story traces his attempt to find his parents who have been kidnapped by the sinister Corpocracy. On the way he joins a circus (fantastic descriptions!) and clashes with Rafi, a vicious henchman of the Corp.

Charlie is an eminently charming and likeable hero and Corder's description of a post-energy crisis London (be warned people, this is a very likely future... no cars, no streetlights, the city deserted) is just enough like, but not like, our world to give the story another element of interest.

I loved it and have bought the trilogy for my own pleasure... will lend it to my students only if they are VERY VERY trustworthy so I can be sure I'll get it back!
on 11 August 2015
I can see that this novel has a lot of fans and so I'm willing to accept that I may just be misunderstanding something but I personally felt that this was the weakest instalment of the series.

Firstly, despite being advertised as a novel aimed at children and young adults, it's really not. While I don't doubt that some young teens may get a kick out of it, it's a children's book - plain and simple. I'd recommend it for kids aged 8-10, though there are a few references (such as a cameo from Fidel Castro) that might go over a young reader's head.

The book was slow to start, taking a good 130 pages to get going, and contained so many characters that it flipped perspective every few pages. The plot of the story was also very lacklustre. The title is very misleading as there is no real "truth" to be had. We don't really learn anything new about the Corporacy that wasn't already revealed in book one. The story hinged largely on coincidence and very unlikely events. I can only suspend my disbelief so far. A chameleon that can speak any language (including computer) is a little too far. The ending was also very weak. Summing up what happens to secondary characters in a bullet point list is particularly lame.

The story's one saving grace is Charlie, who has really developed over the course of the trilogy. He's no longer the little kid he was in book one - now he is confident and able to save the day by himself. Other than this, it really wasn't the series for me.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 7 January 2016
This is the third in the trilogy of the Lionboy series. these books are aimed at good readers in the low teens or upper Primary. they are written by a mother and child team and you can tells some of the ideas are from the child. I is quite a charming book in that nothing really violent happens and the young boy is the hero. it is a modern adventure story aimed at children and will encourage boys to read too.

I enjoyed reading these as they are well written and the story is interesting enough to keep me wanting to read.

I have given the books to my grandsons who are enjoying them too.
on 3 January 2013
Again a riviting and fast moving story with interesting twists and turns.
Starts quietly with the Lions back with their home pride and the Lion Boy reunited with his Parents. With his enimies near bye it's not long before the action starts and spreads out across the world. Who, why, and what do they really want with the Lion Boy and his parents?
on 18 July 2015
First off - read the whole series!! (Lionboy, Lionboy: The Chase and Lionboy: The Truth)
I loved this book as it explained things well. There also were not too many pictures so the things you wanted to see we're there, but not the pointless ones. I gave it 5 stars because it deserved it - I enjoyed it and I couldn't put it down. If you love cats, like adventures and suspense, even if you like mythical-type books, this is the perfect one for you. It includes many different scenarios and is set all over the place, including different cultures, modern and old ideas and possibilities of what could happen in the future. Thumbs up! ;)

Recommended for: Ages 8+ or for a quick read for teens
(Written by my daughter)
on 8 May 2009
I don't read books and was bored one holiday so my 11 year old told me to read the Lion Boy. I thoroughly enjoyed it and couldnt put it down. I was gutted when she told me at the end there was two more to read!. I got hooked and really enjoyed all three books. Think it would make a good family film. Worth reading if you are not a reader like me.
on 30 July 2014
The story was full of adventure, intrigue,dealt with some interesting topics. These included the circus, freedom, control, slavery and family.
I gave it five stars as I could not put it down. Read the series one after another switch my 18 year old daughter. Family fun for all.
on 2 June 2010
This is the third book in the lion boy series. I have read them all with my kids (9&6) - they have a great combination of engaging and funny characters(including talking animals) plenty of action and cliffhangers, humour, and pantomime villains along with a liberal smattering of politcal observation and comment (with a small p). The nearest equivalent I can thinkof is Philip Pullman. Good for kids and adults alike.
on 12 January 2012
My 7 ("Seven and three quarters actually, mummy") year old boy has LOVED these books. They are a good stretch for him - and the story lines have had him captivated since the beginning. Excellent - thank you. Would definitely recommend.
on 12 July 2007
Hi i am 13 years old and this by far is best book i have read and i was so upset when i finneshed the last book i just did not want it to stop and one of ye friens that has read it said that it realy gave him a boost of joy when he was down