on 17 August 2012
I found this book a simple enough light hearted read that amused me in places. I can't say I found it laugh out loud funny but it was gently pleasing. I enjoyed the description of the Yorkshire Dales which are done in a way to make you 'see' them.
I did feel that the writer had a very rose tinted view of school chidren, there was not one badly behaved child in the whole book, they were all polite, friendly children who were very happy to talk to the the school inspector. I went to school in the 1980's & 1990's and can honestly say I never spoke to an inspector, they only ever sat at the back of the class and observed, very different to this book.
I did get annoyed with the writer at times, I felt he was rather quick to congratulate himself on his ability to do his job and related rather a lot of the praise he got.
Overall, a pleasant enough read that I read quite happily but don't think I would bother with any of the other books. I imagine they would be particularly interesting for a teacher/anyone with a job in education.
on 8 April 2013
First time Ive read something by this author although I have read similar books by other people. I really enjoyed this one... sets the scene nicely with the dales as a back drop.. I did struggle a bit with some of the dialect but if you read it as its written then it sounds right.. ?? Not a really laugh out loud book but it was amusing in parts and I will definately look out for more on offer by this author.. Ive had my eye on a couple and think I will treat myslelf. I dont like giving too much of the story away in a review.. the authors job as school inspector gives him plenty of time to meet some amazing characters , mainly the children, make your own mind up but I enjoyed it .
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 January 2016
I bought this to read out loud to elderly residents of a nursing home before they have their lunch. It goes down well, but I leave out some parts to concentrate on the dialogues with the pupils and teachers. I enjoy all his books. I love trying to use a Yorkshire accent... the residents are very forgiving...
on 24 March 2017
What a delightful, beautifully written and well crafted book. Being a school teacher it was amusing to read about the other side of the coin. Mr Phinn is a gifted and articulate writer and I am sure those same qualities were displayed in his inspections together with an obvious talent for relating with the children.
on 14 January 2016
I can't say it sets the Dales on fire, but easy gentle reading. Having taught and lived in Yorkshire, for me, it captured a world gone by. (A friend read a different Phinn book and we discussed them at length, truly thinking we had read the same book! So maybe the world of the Dales moves exceedingly slowly)
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 11 August 2016
Love this book... Bought a copy for my other half... She loves it too... It arrived well packaged and well within the time stated...
on 14 November 2016
Just about to start book two as this book is a great read and would recommend the author most highly.
on 26 April 2017
A good book and very interesting reading.
on 1 July 2007
I usually have about three books on the go at once but this one kind of took over. I read in in three evenings - it really is such a lovely book, I'd recommend it to anyone. It will make you smile, laugh out loud (so be careful not to read it in a public place, people might think you are a bit strange). I have a little knowledge of the area so it was fun trying to workout the real names of the places mentioned - I think I spotted Chapel-le-Dale and the Old Hill Inn at the start of the book and a few other places. Looking forward to starting Over Hill and Dale next.
on 27 September 2016
Excellent. He writes very well. Keen observation of people. Amusing.