on 20 August 2001
This is the first "proper" book my 6 year old daughter read. She could not put it down and throughly enjoyed it. She is now hooked on Mr Majeika stories and is now on her third. Anything that encourages a child to read is surely worth 5 stars
on 26 February 2009
We loved Mr Majeika because we think it is suitable for children in Year 4 as it is fun, fascinating, excellent and superdupa!
We particularly found it funny when Hamish scared the lady dentist. It made us all laugh.
It was a good book to read in class, because it is set in school, so we could really imagine what it would be like to be in the story.
We would recommend this book to anyone who likes to read magical stories.
on 7 October 2003
This was my favourite book when i was little after being read over and over again. Today I was delighted when i looked in a box of old books and Mr majeika was on top. I couldnt resist reading it again.
Even now i find this book charming, amusing and magical.
Its great for young readers(5/6)who enjoy reading, due to its simplistic style, but unlike a lot of books for this age, its a bit longer, so you can feel proud of yourself when you finish the book(although finishing the book now wasnt as much of an acheivement as it was when i was little)
I would recommend this book to all young children,especially bookworms.
I am currently volunteering in school and looking for interesting, funny books that will grip children who have just moved away from reading picture books but who are not yet ready for full on novels yet. Mr. Majeika is perfect in this respect. It's not too long. It still has some illustrations, and it is funny. Mr. Majeika is an ex wizard who takes a job as a school teacher because there really isn't that much call for wizards any more in modern life. He finds however, that when he is teaching class 3, that his wizarding skills come in very handy on more than one occasion, especially when he is dealing with the class naughty boy, Hamish Bigmore. A lovely book.
on 29 August 2008
It is sometimes difficult to find books that can both be read aloud to your child and also read (and understood) independently by the child. This book is great for that. It is humorous and imaginative (and pre dates Harry Potter!) and my 6 year old (a good reader) loved it. A good introduction to 'tucking up with a good book'.
My son and I listened to this in the car over a number of journeys to and from school. It's short but with lots of chapters, it takes the reader through several incidents in a school year.

In one primary school, the class meet their new teacher, who immediately shows himself to be a little different. Mr Majeika very soon shows that he has magic powers! Hamish Bigmore finds himself on the wrong end of Mr Majeika's powers after causing problems with his fellow students.

My 5-year-old loved listening to this, he's not old enough for Harry Potter, but this should lead nicely into The Worst Witch and eventually to Rowling's books. He loved the magic in a school setting, and what Mr Majeika's class had to do to help their teacher put right some spells he needed help reversing.

The audiobook we listened to was read very nicely by the author, the perfect voice for the old-fashioned but magicky teacher.

We will look out for others in the series. Great for ages 5 and above.
on 15 April 2008
My daughter received this book as an Easter present from her Godmother, and it instantly appeared to a 6 year olds sense of fun and adventure. We normally do 'a chapter a night' but ended up getting through this book in double quick time as it was such fun and so lovely to read. We are now building a collection of other Majeika stories to sit alongside our Jeremy Strong books!
on 11 May 2014
We read the book very quickly as my children coerced me into reading several chapters at a time. The books are long enough to engross a young reader.

I would also argue the Mr Majeika series of books would make a great addition for a Primary School Library or Classroom Book collection too (Reading Comprehension and so on).

My kids loved it!
on 27 November 2011
Looks a good buy for a child, big type with illustrations. I'm sure it will be a success and will encourage my 6 year old to read. EW
on 4 January 2016
We have been looking to replace this cd for years as my daughter accidentally broke hers, so she was delighted to receive it for christmas. She had no idea I had tracked it down. It is such a great story.