Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 January 2010
This book is a true classic, and in my opinion one of Dahl's best! The first time I came accross it was in Yr 3 when our class teacher read it to us (31 mixed pupils aged 7-8) and we all loved it! The illustrations are beautiful and the story truly classic! Dahl knows exactly how to keep children hanging on his every word. Guranteed that girls and boys aged 6+ will love it. This story features a Little Boy called Little Billy who is warned by his mother never to go into the forest opposite their house, because a vicious monster lives there! Little Billy disobeys his mother and goes into the forest where he comes face to face with the monster and befriends the Minpins.
The story is similar to that of The Borrowers and features a lovely end note. A must have for the bookshelf!
Reviewer aged 13.
on 23 December 2009
A friend bought this book for my seven year old son. He had spoken of it being read to his class, but I had not heard of it. He had told me he wanted to buy it, but I could never remember the name. After reading this story over two nights, I will never forget it. My son was engrossed in the imaginative, but familiar style of Dahl. Although the illustrations were not Quentin Blake, they were nonetheless fantastically detailed and greatly enlightened the trip to the forest. This story is lovely. I look forward to reading it over and over, and my son will, without doubt want to read it repeatedly to himself. This book is not one of the most well known - but it should be. An absolute delight to have on the shelf.
on 7 January 2001
Billy wanders into the woods and is trapped there by the Red-Hot Smoke-Belching Gruncher. He encounters the tiny Minpins who live in trees, fly on birds and walk upside down on branches with suction boots. With their help Billy defeats the scary monster and returns home. This is a beautifully written and illustrated book. My six year old was absolutely captivated by it.
on 6 August 2001
As soon as I unwrappd this book I was stunned by the wonderful illustration work, the story was excellent too! Very difficult to give it to my son, I wanted to keep it for myself!
on 2 February 2012
I remember being read this story at primary school and it captured the whole class' imagination. We later took a class trip to an arbouretum and we all convinced ourselves we could see minpins in the trees. This is the kind of book that will stay with you for life. I true classic and magical in every sense of the word.
on 23 February 2015
This book by Roald Dahl is a real gem. I loved the story of the Minpins living in the Forest of Sin and the gruesome fiery forest beast the Gruncher who has to be one of the most memorable characters in a Roald Dahl book. I absolutely enjoyed reading this to my daughter and there is a lesson to be learnt here for children too!
on 15 February 2013
i love roald dahl, so i bought this for my sons who are 4 and 8. they did enjoy it but it isnt as light hearted (funny) as some of his books, it was a short story compared to his other well known books.
Our two boys thought this book was wonderful and I had to read it all in one setting!

"Beware! Beware! The Forest of Sin! None come out, but many go in!" Ready to be on the edge of your seat? Disobeying his mother, Little Billy slips out the living room window to adventure into the Forest of Sin and soon discovers that a big, smoking, fire breathing monster is after him! Run! Run! Escaping up a tree Little Billy then sees a tiny window, no bigger than a postage stamp, opening up! Who is inside? A Minpin! Who are the Minpins and where do they live? They warn Billy that he can never leave the tree as the Gruncher is waiting for him. What plan does Little Billy come up with?

Although a well-written and superbly illustrated book parents need to know that it is the devil (yes that is the word used) that tempts Little Billy to disobey his mother telling him not to be believe her, that there is nothing scary in the forest and the floor is covered with wild strawberries. Little Billy is never punished for his disobedience except in the fact that he truly does get the biggest scare of his life. This may not be a good book for young, sensitive children. It is quite graphic and the Gruncher could be frightening to some even though the story does have a happy ending.
on 17 January 2011
I bought this story for my son who is 5. He absolutely loves it. He is starting to get fed up with the shorter picture books as he can read them on his own, so we wanted to get a longer story to share at bedtime.

It is a little long if you wanted a short bedtime story, and when we picked it up I intended to read it over 2 nights, but we got slightly carried away and read it through in just one sitting.

He has asked for this to be re-read and re-read and has drawn lots of pictures of what he thinks the monster looks like.

Would recommend
on 3 August 2015
My daughter is a massive Roald Dahl fan and read this book at school. It is not easily available so I turned to Amazon and got this hardback cover version with original dust jacket. When it arrived I was pleasantly surprised as it was in excellent condition - it has been well read since and is now a firm favourite!