Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 February 2015
This book by Roald Dahl is a real gem. I loved the story of the Minpins living in the Forest of Sin and the gruesome fiery forest beast the Gruncher who has to be one of the most memorable characters in a Roald Dahl book. I absolutely enjoyed reading this to my daughter and there is a lesson to be learnt here for children too!
on 26 April 2017
Love the story, just the type of scary yet safe story children love. The illustrations really capture the feeling of bringing in the forest.
on 28 March 2017
Good quality book. No marks. Nice illustrations.
on 3 March 2017
Lovely condition. Well packed. Very good value for money.
on 26 January 2017
A book not read before and greatly appreciated
on 18 April 2017
excellent book
on 3 December 2015
Roald Dahl is always a favourite of mine but pupils in my year 3 class loved this and we created some brilliant pieces of work around it.
on 7 January 2001
Billy wanders into the woods and is trapped there by the Red-Hot Smoke-Belching Gruncher. He encounters the tiny Minpins who live in trees, fly on birds and walk upside down on branches with suction boots. With their help Billy defeats the scary monster and returns home. This is a beautifully written and illustrated book. My six year old was absolutely captivated by it.
on 1 January 2010
This book is a true classic, and in my opinion one of Dahl's best! The first time I came accross it was in Yr 3 when our class teacher read it to us (31 mixed pupils aged 7-8) and we all loved it! The illustrations are beautiful and the story truly classic! Dahl knows exactly how to keep children hanging on his every word. Guranteed that girls and boys aged 6+ will love it. This story features a Little Boy called Little Billy who is warned by his mother never to go into the forest opposite their house, because a vicious monster lives there! Little Billy disobeys his mother and goes into the forest where he comes face to face with the monster and befriends the Minpins.
The story is similar to that of The Borrowers and features a lovely end note. A must have for the bookshelf!
Reviewer aged 13.
on 23 December 2009
A friend bought this book for my seven year old son. He had spoken of it being read to his class, but I had not heard of it. He had told me he wanted to buy it, but I could never remember the name. After reading this story over two nights, I will never forget it. My son was engrossed in the imaginative, but familiar style of Dahl. Although the illustrations were not Quentin Blake, they were nonetheless fantastically detailed and greatly enlightened the trip to the forest. This story is lovely. I look forward to reading it over and over, and my son will, without doubt want to read it repeatedly to himself. This book is not one of the most well known - but it should be. An absolute delight to have on the shelf.