Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 February 2009
Bought this for my new daughter for Christmas. She was only 2 months old so a bit advanced.... However, we all love it and I think the illustrations are particularly magical - delicate and beautiful. My 4 year old son loves it and wants me to read it to them both every day. My daughter certainly seems to like the story, but is probably just the act of being read to that she likes. That said, the story is first rate and it is a firm favourite in our house. Sadly, we haven't found our own Bog Baby yet (though Nana thinks she has one in her pond!)..
on 8 October 2008
Buy this book now - you won't be disappointed. My children (9 and 11) absolutely love it and so do I. I'm off to find a bog baby of my own...
on 21 May 2008
A lovely book to teach your children to let things go, as often they are better off where they belong. And beautifully illustrated too.
on 16 June 2008
Why does everyone think it's easy to write a great picture book? Maybe because Jeanne WIllis makes it look so easy. This one is sweet, funny, a little bit loopy, almost but not quite sentimental, and utterly child-pleasing. My ten year old adores it (though she won't quite admit to it) and I had to read it to my five-year-old goddaughter twelve times before she was satisfied. The story is all about letting go of things that you love, and I shed a quiet tear over it, when no one was looking.
on 31 January 2009
I recently bought this book for my god-daughter's 4th birthday because of the reviews and read it when it arrived. It bought a lump to my throat, such a beautifully written and illustrated book.
I thought I would try it out on my 22 month old son, who is a complete bookworm, and he is hooked and it is our bedtime story every night. He loves it and sit completely still as if believing every magical word.
My advice .. buy it. You will be hooked too.
on 21 February 2016
What a lovely little book to help children understand why animals/insects, etc. should be left in their natural environment - and not taken home to play with. I love the illustrations, too. There's lots to look at and talk about with young children.
on 4 May 2016
I think this is actually my favourite story for my daughter at the moment (who is nearly two). She absolutely loves it too and often asks for bog baby. It's a great story about nature and wildness, and also about friendship and trusting your parents, but without being "heavy" on the moralising. It's particularly good if you've been in bluebell woods recently (and has a nice table at the back you can fill in when you find your own bog baby ... something to do with my daughter when she is a bit older I think!)
on 14 May 2009
My nearly 4 year old daughter picked this book out at our local library... she instantly adored it and we have to read it every day... as it's due to go back soon I am here to make a purchase of our own!! You won't be disappointed... I love reading it too. :-)
on 4 December 2014
Very sweet story with nice illustrations. My 3 year old likes it very much. The only negative I could find was that I felt it could have been longer, but maybe that just shows how much I enjoyed reading it myself!
on 13 February 2013
We read 'Mole's Sunrise' by Jeanne Willis and fell in love with it, so gave this a try without knowing anything about it. It's another corker, a beautiful little story, touching, and with perfect illustrations from Gwen Millward. My son is three and it would be suitable for either a boy or girl of this age or older. I particularly liked the part added after the story where you can write details of your own bog baby, if you are lucky enough to find one.