Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 March 2017
Great pictures.
on 30 March 2017
Beautiful illustrations and as new condition, many thanks
on 13 September 2010
The story of the Princess in the Pea retold with Lauren Child's trademark quirky use of idiomatic language. Using real dolls' house furniture and cut-outs for her characters, Child recreates the classic story with a few modern twists in the tale.

This is an imaginative book by a very talented writer / illustrator, there is no doubting that ... so why the 3 stars? I have to say the reproduction of the photos is so gloomy on some pages, (not just in the darker forest scenes) that it spoils what could have been a truly magical picture book. (For instance, on same pages the characters fade into the background, but it looks as if their clothes should have been brightly coloured).

That aside: I bought this for my daughter two years ago for her 5th birthday, but I would say she is getting more from it now she is approaching 7, for two reasons. 1) Being an 'updating' of the classic story, I'd recommend your child get to know the classic story well first and 2) the idioms / jokes do need some explaining - they may be lost on a younger child.

All in all, a lovely book which has lost its va-va voom because of the printing quality.
on 20 July 2006
This wonderful book re-tells the classic tale of 'The Princess and the Pea' in distinctive Lauren Child style. The illustrations are superb and the text absorbing and funny. This book works on two levels - one for children and another for adults. The little asides in the narrative are what appeal to me the most.

My family love the Charlie and Lola books, but I would say that this one will appeal more to older children (5+) because it is longer and the references more grown up.
on 23 May 2015
Misleading information on the size of the book. This book is a miniature version of the story by Lauren Child. The print is tiny and extremely difficult to read for more than a few lines, while the details of the pictures are lost. There was absolutely no indication on purchase that this was a miniature version of the book - as the word miniature was obscured from the image of the cover. My child was so excited to receive her delivery in the post - which was a big trip to parcel motel - and then complete disappointment for both of us. Book Depository were not very helpful with a replacement of the full-sized book I had been led to believe I was buying and postal costs so it was more cost efficient for me to keep it.
on 4 December 2006
A lovely retelling of the Princess and the Pea, with its tongue just far enough in its cheek, and the most wonderful pictures. The storytelling sends up the characters and modern sensibilities in a good-natured way, the Princess has exemplary manners, and the pictures are dark in a way that hints at Grimm Brothers or gothic for the under-tens. The pictures are photographs of exquisite dolls-house interiors, with the characters modelled as paper cutouts dressed in real fabric. This book is a work of art as well as being great fun to read.

Makes me think of The Princess Bride ("true love!"), Johnny Depp films, and National Trust properties.
on 24 April 2007
My wee girls are 4 and 2 and both enjoy this book. I love the way that Lauren Child tell the story like a conversation, and the illustrations are fabulous. My eldest has had almost every member of our family read her this story and it's a hit with everyone. They have all commented on it in a positive way, and it's a particular favourite of Grandpa's.
on 10 March 2007
This re-interpretation of the classic tale is richly illustrated. Lauren Child has collaborated with Polly Borland to create a book which captures the reader's interest through a clever blend of artwork and photography. Whole page illustrations explore the text, which uses different fonts and sizes.

It is the tale of the prince who agrees to marry - as long as the princes is 'more mesmerising than the moon ... more fascinating than all the stars in the sky'. There must be a 'certain ... something about her'. After the Prince's parents hold a Royal Ball and no princess with that 'certain something' is found, the prince goes everywhere in search for her, but with no success. So - who is it who comes dripping wet to the palace door in the middle of the night?

This re-telling of a Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale creates much discussion about the story - its organization, illustrations and use of language.
on 8 November 2014
A lovely story, beautiful illustrations and lovely descriptive language to read to children. I must however do Amazon's job here as they have been poor enough not to do so.... This is THE 'MINITURE' version, which Amazon does not state in the title or the description. Sadly it is unusable for me as it was to read to a class or children, and it's so miniature it's hard to read close up! Another annoying mistake on Amazon's part. Will have to now re order the full sized one.
on 30 December 2010
Me and my 6.5 year old daughter love this book! It's beautifully written ("mesmerising" would be the right word, as it is also often used throughout the book) and has amazing illustrations, with certain depth to them. My daughter is a princess lover and I always have to struggle to find princess stories that are not dumb or stereotypical (btw. I also recommend "Paper Bag Princess"). When we were first reading this book both me and my daughter got truly enchanted by it, with my daughter exclaiming every second page "It's so interesting!". I could only wish there were more books like this one.