Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 July 2008
I LOVE this book!!! Although my nieces loved it I still think I loved it more. This is a great bedtime book - it has fabulous rhythms and rhymes , and it also touches on the important issue of how to deal with a new sibling. The pictures are great - little Willaby Wallaby's expressions are just fabulous! If you are a soft as butter, this is the book for you!
on 18 March 2014
Sensational book! Had this out from the library. We kept renewing and on every third renew, reissuing until we realised we'd had it for over a year. We thought then it was probably time to give someone else a turn and buy our own copy! This has definitely been my son's favourite, it's such fun. It's also obligatory that you read it with an attempt of an Australian accent, it's just the way it rhymes, you have to!
on 5 August 2009
This is a great, fun read. The rhymes are fantastically entertaining and my three year old daughter joins straight in and finishes lines, the rhyming helping with this. The illustrations often incorporate the text and the whole thing is a delight to read through in a few minutes, perfect for bed time.

Wibbly wobbly, bibbly bobbly, boing-a-boing boing to the Blue Billabong!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 26 September 2014
My husband read this at bedtime and came down complaining that it was wordy and tripped him up.

I tried it the next day and could see what he meant, it's a bit Seussian and tongue-twisty with quick rhymes to get your mouth around. I think practice would help though.

Our son certainly likes the story though - a young wallaby won't ride in his mummy's pouch anymore - there's an "ouch" in it. So he looks for a new pouch. But none of them are right. And some of them might be a little bit scary!

It's a tale about growing up and outgrowing things of babyhood. There's a lovely ending and it's good to see a different country, set of animals and some new terminology (billabong).

Liked the partnership with illustrator Garry Parsons, bright and cheery Australian pictures. Good for 3-6 year olds. And for adult readers who don't mind getting a little tongue-tied!
on 7 July 2008
Bought this book for my nephew and niece in Australia and they absolutely
loved it! The rythmn and words are wonderful and so easy for the kids to
join in with. The storyline about a baby kangaroo who leaves his mothers pouch because of the 'ouch' that is making him 'grumpy and grouch'follows his quest to find a surrogate pouch with other fellow australian animals only to find they are unsuitable and that the reason for the 'ouch in the pouch' is a new sibling. It is a lovely gentle bedtime story that I read to them over and over again.
on 18 September 2014
Fantastic book! My 2 yr old son regularly came home from nursery singing 'making me grumpy, making me grouch' so we had to get a copy for home! We all know it off by heart and it is a must for every night. Coincidentally we've just had a baby, and the story has helped my little boy realise he's a big boy and not a baby any more. Highly recommended!
on 30 August 2008
This is a wonderfully descriptive, exciting and engaging book. The book is a poem, and the rhymes are very clever and it is beautifully melodic story to read.

It is my 3 and four years olds favorite bedtime story from a choice of hundreds.

The message is lovely (about gaining and embracing independence).

Especially good if you read in an Australian accent :-D
on 22 October 2011
I loved this book as soon as I got it (passed on from a friend but I will be buying copies for other children) it is so cleverly written and such a lovely novel story that it's a pleasure to read. My nearly 3 year old always resists new books but now he is firmly on board and loves it too. I'm going to buy her other books too have just looked and am relieved she has written some.
on 7 March 2011
Lovely book that my son adores! Originally he brought it home from Pre-School for us to read & when we had to take it back he got so upset I just had to buy him his own copy. Well written with great illustrations & fun to read with child as contains lots of repetition that children can in time recite. Overall a great book at the cheapest price!
on 30 April 2015
My 5mo laughs at this book every time we read it, even though I trip over the rhymes all the time! Bit of a mouthful but fun, dramatic story dealing with new siblings and growing up.