on 6 July 2016
I will start by saying this was an extremely intelligent read that doesn't skirt around the edges.

Starting that first few chapters, Wells doesn't hang about and throws us into the story. A time traveller who proves his work in small form (with lots of scientific language) and then manages to travel through time himself and return to tell his tale.

What I find interesting is that the whole time, the book is written as if you were someone listening to the time traveller. When the story of time kicks in, it is a constant conversation with no breaks. You find yourself reading it and becoming just as fascinated as the person in the story listening. This kept the book interesting and easy to follow. It was nice not to have any interruptions such as "the time traveler paused to take a sip of tea" (as a very bad, make believe example). Many books loose it's story in lines that are not necessary and are there to just fill the book.

Saying that, I would have liked more detail of the world he visited. Wells leaves much to the imagination but I'm not sure if he left too much.

I don't want to say too much about the main bulk of the novel to save from spoilers. I will say it was catchy, something was always happening and, you just wanted to keep going to see how he escaped back to his normal time.

A good book if your busy like I have been lately, (120 pages taking me a month to read, yikes!) as you can put it down for quite a while and when you start to read again, it's easy to remember where you left off.

All in all a good read, straight to the point but could have dressed up the descriptions a little more.
on 28 April 2017
It's a strange little book this. A man tells his dinner companions about his experiences in a future world - and then disappears again. I think I expected something more but i'm not sure what. I enjoyed it but not really sure what else to say about it.
on 2 March 2017
Don't know if it was the writing style or the story but I just couldn't get into it. That being said I read Time Ships by Stephen Baxter and to this day it's still one of my favourite books.
on 5 April 2017
The fact that this science fiction classic has hardly dated since it was written over 120 years ago, is testament to H. G. Wells' mastery of the English language and story telling prowess. This is a beautifully written novella, engaging, gripping and a real joy to read.
on 2 April 2017
Enjoyed it far more than I thought I would - fabulous
on 19 June 2017
An enjoyable book let down by the ending
on 9 March 2017
Absolutely great novel and story line! Would recommend.
on 23 June 2017
another classic by a master
on 2 March 2016
Loving this classic. Easily downloaded onto my Kindle app - no problems at all.
on 13 November 2016