on 15 July 2014
A classic I just had to read.
Recently read, Dracula & The Invisible Man. This one just added a certain finesse to my book collection.

Though, like The Invisible Man, I would not consider this book to be a Horror. More of a tragedy.
A scientific experiment that at first seemed marvelous, turns sinister and ultimately leads to a dark downfall.
Though hard to read in some places, with the use of long lost english words and phrases, this book is still a short and sweet read.

The edition I read however had some strange changes.
Considering the author was Scottish, I found it odd that the words "Color" and "Ass" were used, as appose to what you'd expect from a Scotsman.

Overall a good read. An interesting and sad one in my view. But a good one at that.
on 14 January 2017
I'd wanted to read this for a long time, and am really glad I finally got round to it. Love the language, the wonderful narrative devices employed, and how the weather, the light, and the distortion of sound can affect perception and mood. Fascinating discussion on the duality of the self, and what happens when the necessary balance of appetite and restraint is lost - to my mind it makes a distinction between licence and true freedom of action, the latter being cognizant of one's effects on others. A lot to ponder over here.
on 12 August 2013
Jekyll and Hyde is such an iconic cultural phenomenon, that is talked about often, particularly in regards to mental health and assessment of personalities, or character. Because of that, I feel that as a reader in 2013 who has such cultural awareness about it's legacy, that I missed out. I didn't experience the suspense that those first readers would have enjoyed. To me, that's disappointing, but in truth, is not the fault of the novel or the author. In many ways it commends the legacy and infamy that this short story has left.

[Spoilers]

What I read I enjoyed, and what I particularly enjoyed was Jekyll's own descriptive narrative of himself and Hyde, his love and despair of that side of him, the creation of this duality of being, and his struggles of coping with this overwhelming and ever-present evil. One thing I would have loved to have read about was the reaction of Poole and Utterson after the revelation of the nature of Dr Jekyl and Edward Hyde. To me that would have been really enlightening.

I bought this edition because the covers are so attractive, and have indeed bought many other classics in this collection for the same reason.

I have yet to read the short story accompanied with this famous tale.
on 2 April 2017
Nice edition for school's use - small book - 101 pages containing Jekyll and Hyde; The Bottle Imp and some notes. Good as the edition is smal to carry and doesn't make the studnets think it is an overwhelming task to read it. As always, not a huge amunt of space for annotation and if you want an annotated copy go for the Penguin classics edition which has loads of notes. This is text only. It can make for very dry reading but is a good tale to study if you know what you are looking for.
on 28 February 2017
Firstly, this is a great novella, gripping, thrilling and short (about 54 pages). Definitely recommend reading! If you are a student studying the book then this is the best version out there. Norton editions have excellent critical material....Best secondary reading I find is always within the norton editions!!
on 6 December 2014
I am currently reading the book now. It's the first time I've read it in "adult" form. I read this story as a child via Ladybird, then as a early teenager via Puffin Junior Classic's. I've also seen numerous television adaptions and films too. Suddenly out of nowhere had a desire to read the real version of this book, and so far, I'm not disappointed.

I have been totally engaged in this story from the very start. It's hooked me from the first line and have easily whiled away several hours just forgetting the time.

I have a real love of gothic horror stories such as Dracula and Frankenstein and I'm really enjoying reading this, too.

If you want a genuinely unsettling story that doesn't rely on blood and guts, this is for you. It's available on Amazon at a more than reasonable price so give it a go. It's entertaining and engaging.
on 22 July 2017
It's funny how things that obviously frightened one generation seem incredibly tame to another. I guess we've all become desensitised to horror. It's an interesting read from its historical perspective, but don't expect your spine to tingle. And as a female reader, expect your sex to be patronised. I found it curious that a small child was freely wandering the streets of London at 3am.
on 1 April 2012
Of all the Victorian gothic and sensationalist horror narratives (Dracula, Frankenstein, The Hound of the Baskervilles, The Moonstone etc), The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde is perhaps the most unsettling. It is a genuinely frightening narrative, perhaps because, unlike its contemporaries, the subject of the horror is, and remains, very human. Dr Jekyll is ostensibly a very normal mid-Victorian gentleman scientist, with a commonplace interest in exploring the boundaries of consciousness and self. His experiments, however, lead him down an ungodly path from which he struggles to return. His alter-ego Mr Hyde is monstrous in every sense of the word. He is powerful, persuasive and without any moral sensibilities whatsoever. The narrator, Henry Jekyll, tells us some of the worst excesses of Hyde's malevolent nature, but hints at worse. Like Dracula, the `Strange Case' of Dr Jekyll is documented in a series of letters, diary entries and reports to create an unequivocal sense of truth for the fantastical tale therein. It all adds to the terror of the story.

One interesting fact about the narrative - almost everyone pronounces `Dr Jekyll' incorrectly. Robert Louis Stevenson chose the name `Jekyll' because he liked the way it rhymed with `treacle'.
on 16 September 2011
What a wonderful read this is. Stevenson's touch is light and yet powerful and we can draw many personal conclusions from the tale. Jekyll and Hyde is such a familiar term to us all, but we tend to mean it to describe a person prone to mood swings.

What the true Jekyll and Hyde explores is not a temper tantrum but the levels of personality in us all. In truth, we all have a dark side, and some of us indulge it more than others. What would happen if our dark side took physical form and was left unchecked? What if that alter ego looked so physically different to us that no-one would ever know who it truly was? What if it not only came to life but also usurped our place in the world? How could we seek help?

This novella raises many questions if you wish it to. It is also a tale you can devour without taking it as more than an enjoyable read. Similar to Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, it examines ambition and drive gone awry but it also examines the idea that each of us can be more than one person, that we each exercise a great deal of control over our primal instinct and desire for good reason, and how this can at times tear us apart.

Movies we've seen don't do this work justice and at such a small size there is no argument for not reading. Although in the product description for this imprint it says 96 pages, only 88 of those are printed. There's a small cluster of blank pages at the back from the binding, but you can use these to make notes, either on the novel, or on your own experiments leading to ruin :)
on 16 January 2014
At first I thought there was a lot of hype surrounding the story, considering the age because sometimes people think a story or movie is a classic because it is old, however this is not the case. It is more a novella than a novel but if it was any longer it would be very dragged out. I found it to be very entertaining, it is narrated in different perspectives was told in a clear way, which does not confuse the reader and is helpful to the progression of the story, it is a about one persons struggle of the the duality of man without being political, prejudice or scientific etc. I would recommend it to any kind of reader of whatever genre and it is a story which does not feel dated and it somewhat still resonates even today.