Customer reviews

1,516
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 21 September 2017
This was not actually as good as I was expecting.

It's less about the Surveillance State than about an old horny guy, and the ending was a bit disappointing. And there was a long, very interesting, but unnecessary bit in the middle where the character reads a book and you get to read everything he reads...

It was interesting, and I'm glad I read it... but... I was also a bit disappointed.

I do like that the title on the cover is redacted though...
on 25 September 2015
I read Nineteen Eighty Four at about the age of 17, during the full swing of my science-fiction era, and I took it just like another science-fiction novel. I re-read it some years later and I still remember the gloomy sensation that it left me.
The book is indeed gloomy and part of its success is due to Orwell's ability to render almost real the gloomy world in which the novel is set. I have now just finished reading the original English version of Nineteen Eighty Four, and the gloomy sensation obviously returned again, unchanged.
Life can be gloomy but it can also be bright, so I choose the bright side and hereby declare that I won't read this book again until the last of my days.

"It is impossible to found a civilization on fear and hatred and cruelty. It would never endure. [...] Somehow you will fail. Something will defeat
you. Life will defeat you."
on 8 May 2017
Just buy it. If you haven't came across this by now, you must have been living up a tree in Jabrovia.
on 16 April 2017
Another book by George Orwell that I read in a day.
I just could not put it down until I finished it, it had me totally engrossed in the story.
No wonder it is regarded as his best work!
on 9 July 2015
This classic depiction of a dystopian future (or an alternate dystopian timeline seeing as this book is now set just over three decades ago), is an undeniable masterpiece. However, it isn't necessarily a very good story.
The political ideas in this book are astounding, thought-provoking and completely horrifying, and in terms of this 1984 is a flawless piece of writing, but in terms of the actual narrative, this novel can feel quite stale and lacks progression.
This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, as the protagonist is simply a plot-device used to explore Orwell’s political ideas, which in themselves are interesting enough to keep the book enjoyable (and i use "enjoyable" for want of a better word, because this books can be pretty disturbing in places). But if it’s a strong story you’re after, this might not be the book for you.
It is one of the most depressing books ever written. Unlike other dystopias 1984 is completely devoid of any sense of hope or progression to a better society. Much like the main character, you will feel trapped in a bleak world that is sure to leave you emotionally dead by the time you read the final sentence.
on 21 April 2017
Why haven't I read this already? Feels so relatable to what I see and read in news. How we are advised to cover our computer cameras to avoid being watched. That technology such as TVs and voice control tech are constantly 'listening ' to us. Does make you think and that's not a bad thing for a novel to do.
on 26 April 2017
1984 by George Orwell arrived very quickly and well packed from a most reliable seller. The only reason I chose four stars rather than five is because the book itself is a bit depressing. It is also very amusing and witty. Just hope it never comes true because Animal Farm certainly did!!
on 22 February 2015
Having heard about the book all my life and with many of the concepts such as big brother and room 101 now commonly discussed in popular discussion it seemed about time at 50 odd to actually read the book myself.
Despite taking quite a few pages to get into it eventually I couldn't put it down
The gut wrenching hatred we feel for what happens to Winston as you put yourself in his shoes is quite sickening
The prescient imagination of Orwell predicting how our country runs today is breathtaking albeit I hope extreme but not far from fact
Every young person should read this at school as I wish I had been encouraged to do
on 8 June 2013
I've just finished reading this book and felt compelled to write a review for anybody who might be sitting on the fence.
As the title suggests, this piece is truly astounding. It's both a brilliant book as well as being incredibly insightful. It manages to demonstrate the inner workings of a totalitarian state with the types of technology we have today and really opened my eyes as to the sorts of tactics that can be employed in these scenarios. Not only this but it managed to teach me about quite a few concepts that otherwise would have remained a mystery. Although this book can be slightly daunting in of the lexical complexity that is often utilised by this book, I found it a really useful way for myself to gain a deeper grasp of the English language which I am really grateful for.
Overall this book pretty much has the whole package. It has a brilliant story and teaches you a fair bit about governmental structure, which is far more interesting than it sounds. I can't recommend this book enough, just buy it and throw yourself into this awesome story.
on 24 May 2016
I know this is meant to be a classic, and the idea behind the story is interesting, personally I found this a struggle to get through. I am in the process of reading as many 'classics' as possible, and whilst the majority are hard to put down, this is a push to pick up! If you have to study it, or find the idea behind 'Big Brother' fascinating, by all means buy it, otherwise there are plenty of other books I would suggest which offer a better read.