on 22 January 2017
I didn't particularly 'get' Roald Dahl stories when I was younger (I was more of a Blyton girl) so I didn't look these out to read to my boys until the BFG was on at the cinema. I'm a strong believer that you should read the book before you see the film, so we read the BFG before we went and we were hooked from that point. This week we read Fantastic Mr Fox and the boys (6 and 9) loved it. I'll definitely be buying more Roald Dahl books :-)
on 1 November 2017
I grew up being read many of Roald Dahl’s highly entertaining and original stories each night in bed by My Mom.
My favourites to this day are: Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Enormous Crocodile, The Twits, and George’s Marvellous Medicine. (All of which are on My Kindle)
Roald Dahl is the biggest inspiration to becoming something of a poet and story writer, Myself.
I can’t recommend his vast array of books enough to read to all children, and even to recommend to adults unfamiliar with his work.
Such a fantastic author who made My childhood entertaining.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 April 2016
This tale and so many others from this gifted author were such favourites of mines as a child, these books have not lost their charm and still appeal to children even today.
Fantastic mister Fox tells of one fantastically clever Fox and three meaner than can be nasty Farmers, who have the sole ambition of capturing Mr Fox no matter the cost.
As always the author creates a world that is truly believable and a story that captures the imagination of readers of any age. A 5 Star must have read and highly recommended.
on 1 March 2015
An excellent book. I don't think I will ever forget the three mean farmers - Boggis, Bunce and Bean. Roald Dahl's most negative characters always appear to be the most memorable. The story shows the true spirit of family and holding it together during the most trying circumstances and facing adversity together. The ending itself was very unexpected too as I was expecting the three farmers to come to some untimely end and not what I expected at all. I couldn't help thinking that at some point the Fox, his family and his underground friends will be caught out again in the future but the story leaves that to our imagination.
on 25 April 2016
Beautiful colour edition. Really perfect for younger children when the same old 15 page paper backs are breaking you down! We read a chapter a day to my nearly 4 year old and he loved it. Check the size in the details as its not entirely clear how special this book is. The price (much higher than the standard paperbacks should help guide you though).
on 21 July 2014
I read this book way back in the 80s when I was a young child and I loved it. My kids are at an age where we can read together and have outgrown the Julia Donaldson books. This was exactly the right thing to move on to. I remember this book being quite long, but you could comfortably read it in under an hour with children.
My kids loved it. The story is classic Roald Dahl, with humor and a little of the darkness that seems to engage children without scaring them. Quentin Blake's illustrations are instantly recognisable and add a lot to the story.
We finished it in a few evenings and they want it again!
on 1 April 2017
This colour edition is amazing for my 5 year old as it is a step between picture books and more traditional story books. I've since brought these as presents for others. Would highly recommend.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 9 March 2017
enchanting story about a fantastic fox trying to outwit 3 very nasty farmers. Clever use of language and short punchy chapters keep young readers hooked. It is a bit of a step up difficulty wise from the twits for example but the great story makes it worthwhile.
on 31 July 2016
If you haven't read the Roald Dahl books then do you really read at all?! ;) perfect books to be read before bed, provokes lots of giggles and conversations between myself and my six year old. We negotiate a page each at a time. What Disney is to children's films, Roald Dahl is to books!
on 2 January 2015
My husband and sons (3 and 1) love to have this cd in the background when they're playing or sometimes while having lunch. My 3 year old even sits down just to listen to it sometimes with daddy, which is a testament to the quality of the cd. Mind you, you can hardly go wrong with Stephen Fry, Martin Jarvis and Hugh Laurie as readers. Thoroughly recommended to all, young and old.