Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 February 2016
There can't be very much to say here that hasn't already been said. I am just adding my voice to the masses that grew up with Roald Dahl and now loves reading these stories to their own children. Dahl's story telling is as always second to none. I actually think that this is probably his best story, from the perspective of a child, and reading it again I remember all the joy I felt as a ten year old when coming across this immense wealth of language for the first time. So many writers and television programmes condescend children and go with cheap jokes about bodily functions, Dahl loved all of those dirty, silly jokes too, but he has enough respect for children to know that you don't have to dumb this stuff down. The English language is so rich and should be celebrated with adverbs and adjectives that roll around in your mouth and then you give life to, painting the story in full colour and life for your children. I think his use of language is actually more sophisticated than most authors who write for adults. Wonderful.

I confess that the first time I read this to my kids, I edited out some of the ingredients from the "magic medicine" as I did not want to give the impression that playing with all those things we had warned them against could be fun. However, I later found out that their teacher had already read them the unabridged version, so I shouldn't have worried (or else maybe I should have worried!). That is the only concern I have with this book. I encourage everyone to read this to their children, and celebrate every page with them. But you all know your kids and keep that in mind.
on 11 December 2015
My class read this book and this is what they thought:
This book is about a boy called George who made a medicine because his Grandma was mean to him. I would recommend my friends to read this book. It is suitable for 4-10 year olds. My favourite part was when grandma shrunk because it was hilarious!
by Aaron age 7.

This book is about a young boy who wants to cure his horrible Grandma who is short, skinny and so wrinkly. George decides to make a medicine that will change things forever. I would recommend this book to people who like to read books about making potions. My favourite part was when she turned super fat because it is funny.
Milo, age 7.

This book is about George and his mean, old grandma. She bosses him about except for when his mum is home. I would recommend this book for 10-20 year olds! It is suitable for anyone because it is so funny! My favourite part was the saying, "puckered up mouth like a dogs bottom!"
Ewan, age 7

This book is about George and his Grandma who is a very mean lady so he decides to make a manic medicine! It changes her a lot...although her breath still stinks! I would recommend the book to grown ups as well as children because it is hilarious! My favourite part was when grandma blasted through the roof!
Emerson, age 7

This book is about a boy called George who wants to cure his grandma so he makes a magic medicine! I would recommend this book to everybody because it is really extraordinary! My favourite part was when grandma blown up after the medicine!
Edward, age 7

This book is about George and his marvellous medicine. I would recommend boys 6-8 year olds. It is suitable for everybody because they might like to read funny stories. My favourite part is when Grandma shrunk to a pea.
Rossi, age 7

This book is about Grandma being so mean to George. George decides to take revenge and George makes a magic medicine that will change this forever. I would recommend this book to everybody because it is funny! It is particularly suitable for 6-7 year olds. My favourite part is when Grandma goes crazy because it is funny!
Lilyan, age 7

This book is about a little boy who makes a medicine to take revenge on his Grandma. I would recommend this book to my 7 years old friends because I want to see what they think about it! It is suitable for everybody because it is crazy and funny! My favourite part was when she blew up like a balloon in the air.
Thomas, age 7
on 12 March 2015
This book is about how Danny becomes the champion of poaching pheasants through a quite ingenious idea he has. I won't say what it is you can read the book to find out. It's also about a young boys relationship with his warm loving father with the twinkly eyes and the strong bond of love between them. The lovely friends surrounding them like Doctor Spencer and Seargant Samway also deserve a mention. No Roald Dahl book is ever complete without there being one bad character which in this case is Victor Hazell. I am really looking forward to reading Roald Dahl's 'Going Solo' and 'Boy' which I believe is rather autobiographical to see where he got these wonderful ideas from !
on 9 June 2015
I remember reading this as a child and recently re-read it as a bed time story book to my 5 year old son. I wanted to see if my son really listens and thought lets read a longer bed time story book and see if he remains interested and can recall the story given it will be read over a period of a week or two (few chapters each night).
We finished the book within 10 days and he loved every second of it. It kept him focused all the way through. Every night he said "please mum a few more pages!" This story kept him gripped to want to know what happens next and he was laughing out loud so much. Dahl's writing is brilliant and i loved reading this out loud to my son.
on 2 January 2011
This is a cracking story, designed to catch any small boy's attention. It is very well done with songs, sound effects and a good cast of character voices.

My 5 year old giggled with delight as the narrator egged George on as he adds more and more wacky things to his grandma's new medicine ("Horseradish?" Excellent! "Curry powder?" Brilliant!). I have now listened to it 3 times and can report that I am quite happy to do so several times more. The same can't be said for other audiobooks we have ...

At an hour long, it probably covers most car journeys you are likely to do. My only warning would be that the Grandma really is quite a scarey character, so might not be suitable for very young children or right before bedtime. She shouts quite a range of nasty things ("You horrible little worm!") and George thinks very nasty things back ("Miserable old cow!"). My 5 year old has yet to shout any of these things himself, but I am sure he will once he knows the story backwards. Still, I supose there are worse things he could be saying!!

Your next step from this would be James and the Giant Peach. The same company of actors does a version, also avaliable on Amazon. It's the same little boy as the lead part. Makes perfect sense to my kids.
on 22 February 2017
I bought this for an 8 year old boy at Christmas and he absolutely loved it. He's listened to it over and over again, we're now close to the end of February and he still plays it often. He has a 4 year old brother who isn't interested in it in the slightest at this age.
on 22 March 2015
This is a wonderful book about George who has a kranky old grandmother hell bent on making his life difficult. So he comes up with a plan for substituting her normal medicine which does nothing for her with his own homemade one with some very interesting results.

I loved the health warning at the beginning of the book asking children not to try and concoct this medicine at home. One can clearly see why! :)

Another lovely book by Roald Dahl
on 13 April 2017
Just a wonderful feel good book.
A wonderful break from all the crime detective stories I have had to go through.
Smiles and giggles and lots of joy.
Put your feet up and enjoy.
on 29 April 2015
Anyone who loves Roald Dahl cannot fail to enjoy this one! It is my favourite of all his stories! So ridiculous that it is amazingly funny. Having said that, I think Dahl is a genious and knows how to get inside children's heads to make them laugh! Not only for children, though......
Great fun,humorous and brilliant. Sit back and relax!
on 10 March 2016
This is a classic book and is perfect for boys and girls of all ages. It is a lovely quality and for the money, I will certainly be purchasing more of Roald Dahl books as every child should experience the magic of Dahl's story telling!

Highly Recommend!