Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 June 2017
Chrissi and I read the first Percy Jackson book, The Lightning Thief last year on our Kid Lit challenge and we enjoyed it so much that we were determined to continue the series this year. The brilliance of Rick Riordan's story-telling abilities combines everything I love in a good children's book perfectly and he is a master at moulding action-packed sequences with essential character development without slowing down the pace or changing the atmosphere of the narrative.

So if you don't know who Percy Jackson is yet, let me enlighten you and then strongly suggest you hunt down the first book in the series! Percy is a teenage boy who has recently found out he is a half-blood - a very special creature indeed. His mother is mortal but his father just happens to be a god. Not just any god either - Poseidon, famed ruler of the oceans. In the first novel, Percy was accepted at Camp Half-Blood, a training camp for young teenagers to make friends and hone their powers. There is however, much danger and rivalry between certain fractions of the immortals (and half-bloods) and this has led to Percy finding out a lot about what both he and other, perhaps less trustworthy individuals are capable of.

In The Sea Of Monsters, a special, one of a kind tree at Camp Half-Blood has been poisoned and the camp is in dire straits,its safety severely compromised and the threat of other-worldly monsters attacking the camp looming larger than ever. The only hope for its recovery is if someone travels through the perilous Sea Of Monsters to retrieve Jason's Golden Fleece which will revive the tree and give the camp some much needed protection once again. Of course, our young hero gets involved as he also has a dear friend captive on the same island being terrorised by a Cyclops that he is determined to rescue. It is guaranteed that both the journey and the quest will be terribly dangerous however and Percy must draw on all of his strength and the loyalty of his friends and fellow travellers if he is to succeed.

Once again, Rick Riordan's imagination and sheer talent for creating such a fantastical world just blew me away. I'm an avid reader of anything to do with Greek mythology after studying it for a brief period at school and some parts of the narrative were so nostalgic for me as it brought back happy memories of learning the myths for the first time. The author has written some wonderful characters, notably Percy of course but I also loved his best friend, Annabeth and a new friend/half brother called Tyson who is part Cyclops but incredibly sweet and vulnerable. There's an undercurrent of humour running throughout the story which I always appreciate and it's just an amazing fictional world to inhabit for the short time that you're reading it. Really looking forward to the next book in the series now - will we be able to wait until next year?!
on 17 June 2017
Brilliantly action packed sequel with a boy discovering who he really is. This is the second book in the series of about six or seven and is a real page turner.
on 21 May 2017
I cant fault it as a book, but the copy I received broke while I was reading it- about 40 of the centre pages came unattached to the spine.
on 15 May 2017
Enjoyed all the percy jackson storys in this collection
on 24 June 2017
Awesome book it really makes you want to read more. I really don't know why some people would rate this under 5 stars it is a very fast forwarding book, which is good.
on 1 May 2017
Five star it was smashing

The book has a extract from the next book
This book is mainly for ten or eleven or above
on 29 January 2017
Bought this series for my son at 8 and he continues to love to read them as they combine the excitement boys love with mythology
on 15 June 2017
Great book with a special price. I just loved it.
on 20 May 2017
Condition of book poor although it was described as very good
on 26 December 2013
A brilliant read kept me hooked to the very end. I just need to buy all the others in the series.