Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 March 2017
Review by my 6 and 9 yr olds: scary but really exciting!
on 14 November 2011
Life is about to get very interesting for Percy Jackson. Slightly unusual things have been happening to him his whole life - but when he accidentally vaporises his maths teacher during a school trip, it becomes apparent that something much bigger is afoot. Within a matter of days he has arrived at Camp Half-Blood, met a god, discovered that his best friend is a satyr and his father is Poseidon, and been accused of stealing Zeus's master lightning bolt. Can he find the bolt and return it to Olympus before the gods turn on each other and ignite a cataclysmic world war?

It's really a very clever premise, and one that would have completely swept me away as a younger teenager. I'd have been in the library poring over books on the Ancient Greek gods before you could say Apollo. Now, in my mid-twenties, it was a really fun way to brush up on some of the myths and legends I used to know - and I'm probably more likely to remember who's who on Olympus after reading 'Percy Jackson' than if I'd read a textbook instead!

The story roars along at a cracking pace, with lots of exciting action and adventure and some hilarious little touches - Cerberus, the three-headed canine guardian of Hell, playing catch with a red rubber ball being one of the highlights! Riordan mixes the modern world with the mythology of the Greek gods beautifully, bringing them right up to date while maintaining their dignity and all-powerful other-worldliness. I loved it - and needless to say, I'll be ordering more of the series very soon!
on 16 September 2013
I read this series after I had several suggestions through amazon as I have read several similar books in the past. Although I did enjoy the book I'd say this book is more suited to ages 10-16 (not a 24 yr old!!). In parts I found some of the writing quick witted and humorous but overall found it just lacked a little something.

If you are a little older than a teenager but still find this genre interesting I would recommend reading 'the Mortal Instruments' instead, as it has a fairly similar plot line (if you substituted Gods for Angels) but has a more sinister and black undercurrent running thought the whole series which I think would appeal more to the older reader.
on 27 June 2017
The Percy Jackson series wins the prize, after eyars of trying to motivate my boy to read, at 9 he finally has something he can not put down!!! Yeahh.. and makes for fantastic easy reading for mum too!!
on 30 April 2017
IT was a birthday present, and the recipient was thrilled with it
on 29 September 2010
My husband read this book to our eleven year old Grandson. They both thoroughly enjoyed it. It gave him a glimpse into Greek Mythology without being too heavy. It was hard to get them to stop reading so our Grandson could go to sleep. He is anxiously waiting to hear the next book in the series.
on 26 March 2017
My 9 year old son loved this book and has know read the next book in the series. It was such a pleasure to see my son so engrossed by this book and so excited to read more.
on 22 June 2017
Well written and enjoyed being read by
My child
on 3 April 2017
I love this book. I have read it several times, initally to cover my Harry Potter addiction! It is actually very educational giving loads of info about Greek Mythology. Would recommend to anyone
on 7 May 2017
A very good read and very entertaining book,caught my imagination with the clever use of writing,recommended to all ages :)