Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 November 2013
I hadn't heard of Nowhere before I picked it up in Waterstones but it was in a 3 for 2 offer and the blurb caught my attention.

It's an interesting concept - one that, by the end of the novel, still leaves me with unanswered questions as it's the first in a trilogy.

However, it's the characters that really draw me in to a book when I'm reading, no matter what the plot is. They could be sitting on a park bench for the entire novel, but if the characters are believable, intriguing and well developed, I'd still enjoy reading it.

Unfortunately, it's the characters that really seem to let Nowhere down and prevented me from getting absorbed in the book. For a book to captivate me, I need to fall in love with the characters or grow to hate them, but with Nowhere, I never quite got that emotional connection.

I think the problem is that there are too many characters in Nowhere, none of which are really the central character, so I know a little about all of them but not a lot about any of them.

Nowhere is written in third person, and switches to focus on different characters - sometimes in completely different locations - frequently, which makes connecting with the characters even more difficult.

That said, I think I'll still read book two in the series because I want to get to the bottom of the mystery, and actually, I want to get to know the characters, too. I hope Jon Robinson spends a little more time developing the characters in the second novel.
on 6 July 2013
Oh, how I love a good YA mystery! I devoured Nowhere in one night! The story was so gripping, and as soon as I started it I couldn’t put it down! The mystery was so intriguing and it had me guessing throughout the novel. Nowhere does have it’s flaws though. But definitely a book worth reading!

“No one’s coming for us. Not our families, not the police. No one.”

From the minute I read the synopsis I knew that Nowhere was a book I wanted to read, so when a proof came though my door I was bursting with excitement! I put a hold on all the other books I was reading and started Nowhere straight away. I finished it that night and now I’m aching for the sequel to come sooner! I’ve always been a fan of mystery and this novel had a unique and action-packed story line. Although I love this book, I thought we were given too many clues about the mystery too early on in the novel. I was a bit disappointed, like I’d just been shown a spoiler. It was a fast-paced novel, but I feel it still could’ve been even if we knew less behind the mystery.

"Everyone has a theory – What’s yours?"

The whole idea of one hundred teenagers trapped in a concrete cube in the middle of nowhere is both chilling and intriguing. I wish we never found out ‘where’ they actually were, though. I feel like that could’ve been saved for the sequel. But the idea is still so incredibly unique that I don’t really mind.

I’m glad that Nowhere was a short book. Sometimes a huge, heavy mystery can be a bit tiring and boring. I was happy that Nowhere was short, because it held the gripping intensity throughout the story and I was hooked from start to finish. This book was just so incredibly gripping, I can’t even describe how much I loved reading this page turner. It’s the experience of reading it that I loved more than anything else!

No memory. No clues. No truth.

I liked the characters in the novel, but I wish the author spent more time developing their personalities. I didn’t really know who they were, their background, what makes them different from each other. Because of this,I found it hard to picture them in my head. They were never really described, and that was definitely the biggest letdown for Nowhere.

I loved the style of writing in Nowhere. It was simple, but flowed so easy throughout the story. I really admire Jon Robinson’s style. Everything was tied together nicely, and the I was never confused, and never misunderstood what the author was trying to get across. A great writing style for a mystery like this.

“Tell them what they want. That you’re guilty. Play their game.”

I love the cover of Nowhere. It’s intriguing and mysterious, just like the book itself. It really reflects the story line. I’m not quite sure about the title though. For a book called ‘Nowhere’, we get to know ‘where’ they are pretty early on in the story. But I guess it does relate to the main characters, and their limited knowledge of where they are.

Overall, Nowhere is a must read. I love this book and I’m probably going to read it again before the sequel is released, which I’m dying to read! There aren’t enough YA mystery series around in my opinion and I can’t wait to see how the story unfolds in the rest of the series. A brilliant read, and I recommend it to anyone who loves a gripping story!
on 21 December 2015
No one is coming for us. Not our families, not the police. No one.

Nowhere. Anywhere. Everywhere.
In a concrete block in the desolate forests of a forgotten place, exactly 100 teenagers are imprisoned for crimes they cannot remember, for crimes they may not have done. Who are their captors? What do they want? And why did they choose them?
When some are slowly being turned into glazed over, obedient cattle, the others are trying to escape. But how is that possible when you are in the middle of Nowhere?

I actually started this book about half a year ago and only got about 30 percent of the way through before I got bored and moved on. I'm not really sure why because when I started it from the very beginning, I really enjoyed it! Although the characters felt a little bit distant, and I think the story could of benefitted from knowing the characters better, it was action packed and fast paced. I found it interesting and I tore through it in under three hours!

The story is, obviously, about a group of teenagers stuck in this prison, but with no recollection of what crime they committed. Investigating on how to escape the desolate place, and struggling to keep their hope alight, the group slowly figures out an escape route. While this is happening you find out about the creators of the prison and a little bit about why these certain teenagers have been taken. You also get an insight in some of the families of the teenagers lives.

Although the plot and the writing was good, the thing that stopped me from giving this book a higher review was the way that the characters felt like strangers to me. I really didn't connect with them at all, this may have been due to the array of different points of view but it really affected the story. I think I could of enjoyed it so much more if there had been a main character singled out.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 December 2013
**3.5 stars***

No one's coming for us.
Not our families, not the police.
No one.'

Alyn, Jes, Ryan and Elsa are Nowhere. A concrete cube in the middle of a dense forest. Imprisoned inside are one hundred teenagers from all over the country. They're all criminals. But none of them remember committing any crimes. Who has put them there. What do their captors want?

An interesting concept for a YA novel this - fairly well executed and quite intriguing. As the story opens we find various children in captivity, none of whom remember comitting any crime, all of whom seem determined to escape. With the use of flashback and present time, a sense of what is actually behind this starts to emerge.

I enjoyed this very much, because its quite a quirky little story - perhaps the characters lack a certain depth at this point but even having said that, I was utterly in the tale - as this is "part one" it was very much, I felt, setting the scene for things to come. A fairly simplistic but lovely prose kept the story flowing and I feel if the author can add more "oomph" to the characters in the next instalment, this will be very good indeed.

I look forward to finding out what happens to Jes and co in the next book which I believe is due out next year.

Happy Reading Folks!
on 29 July 2013
Set in the near future, this is about a country that is slower dissolving into one of those dystopian worlds we keep reading about. But for these teenagers it is just their world. They find themselves arrested and taken to a prison somewhere having been found guilty of crimes they don't remember committing. This is an intrigue premise and while the adult clearly know what they are doing, the teens - and us - are kept in dark. Unsure about who is right and who is wrong and why they are hidden away from the world and forced to admit to their crimes. There are a lot of different characters with most of the focus on the children but occasional flashes of the Prime Minister and how he agreed to set up this prison.

I loved the way some of the teens become institionalized and believe what the adult tell them, while cling desperately to what they know as the truth and plot escape and some telling on others to the guards in exchange for an easy life. The depiction of the inside of a prison feels very real and increases the tension with the kids being their own enemies at times. There is plenty of action with some frantic escapes attempted, while the differences in the teens characters show are pleasing to see.
The writing is competent and engaging. The brisk pace means you will not stop reading until the end where there are some shocking events that will make you gasp and cry out. This is definitely not a book to read if you hate cliffhangers as this is a doozy! I can hardly wait to see what happens next and really hope that some answers are given to us. I have to admit to being a little bored of YA stories but this one really pulls you and manages to challenge as well as entertain. I certainly feel like I'm ready to read some more YA books now!
on 1 October 2013
This book was AMAZING I love jon Robinson but I'll have to wait for EVER until the next book that was such a big cliff hanger it should be illegal. Seriously WHO ENDS A BOOK LIKE THAT!!!!! Anyway it was AMAZING!!
on 13 November 2013
When I first picked up this book I did not know I would be diving head first into a fast paced adventure with page turning action. Thoroughly impressed by the author's intriguing near future setting with a national crisis on the horizon, or is there?

Highly recommended, just can't believe I have to wait until 2014 for the next one!
Nowhere is a relatively short novel with a sort of 'Hunger Games' feel. It's a rather sinister story as the reader is kept in the dark about why the children are being held captive. There are a few chapters which give you a clue as to why these children have been imprisoned, but these chapters are short and infrequent. This is very disappointing as the reason appears to be something really fascinating and I wish the author had elaborated on these passages. I hope that the subsequent books go into much more detail about the reasoning behind their capture.

This story is written in the third person with each chapter focusing on a different person or a different time frame. The chapters are quite short making this a fast-paced novel that I managed to read in one morning.

One of the problems I found with this book is the lack of connection between characters. The chapters are so short that I feel like I didn't really get to know any of the characters very well or have any connection with them; hence, when things happened to them I just felt incredibly removed without much emotion at all to be honest. There are several main characters and although I could see threads of friendship (or more) between some of them, I still didn't really root for any characters.

All in all, this is a story that had great potential but it ultimately failed to fulfill it due to the lack of connection between characters and the general lack of depth or detail. This is a great shame as this really does seem like an interesting story and I sincerely hope that the story picks up in the next two books of this trilogy.
on 5 March 2014
First of all, i would like to say that i would recommend that you give this book a read. Nowhere is a book that before you even read it, before you open the first page you are intrigued about where this book is going, what it is all about. It continues like this throughout the whole book, yes you may get told a bit more than you would like, as some other reviewers have rightly said, but you still don't truly know what its all about.
You get told why it is that they are holding one hundred children in the middle of nowhere, but you don't find out what it is they are doing to them, what they need them, specifically, for.
So even though you get told quite a bit about what is going on then theres still the main plot points that are hidden in a mist of intrigue.
I said though that the book lacked something and i think that something was good characters, it has the foundation there to have good, loveable characters, but they were a bit flat. You don't get to know enough about them, i feel they weren't developed enough. Where as you get to know a bit too much about the story, you don't get to know the characters as much as is needed, how they tick, who they are before. Maybe because the book is quite short then the writer had to choose between developing the story or the characters this time around, so maybe the sequel will reveal a bit more.
I'm looking forward to the next book to see how this story develops, this first book was good, its got that bit of mystery that helps move it along so you don't get too caught up in the lack of character development or the revealing of too much. Its an enjoyable read, keeps you enthralled for awhile.
So yeah, read this book, enjoy it, try and figure it out. This book isn't going nowhere, its going somewhere and we'll have to wait and see where that is.
on 3 June 2015
WOw. Just finished that... I found it mildly wanting me to read on but overall terribly written with unimaginative characters who are all basically the same person in personalty and what they say; a predictable storyline and basically really un-descriptive in writing style. At least it gives me inspiration to think that I could write the most amazing book in comparison to that.
To conclude I would say that I have no interest in reading the next 2 books.