Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Learn more

on 28 February 2017
If you haven't bought this or haven't read this, you must, it's a classic!
6 classic fairy stories made even more gruesome and whole lot funnier. If you love Roald Dahl, you will love these stories. Each story is short and rhyming with wonderful Quentin Blake illustrations.

The stories are:
Cinderella
Jack and the Beanstalk
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Goldilocks and the Three Bears
Little Red Riding Hood and the Wolf
The Three Little Pigs

Each story is hilarious, with humour that appeals to my 6 and 4 year olds, as well as their (*ahem*) 37 year old mother!

I cannot do justice here, to the clever writing and rhyming, but just one example I love is rhyming "palace" with "jealous" by spelling it 'jalous'. It always makes me laugh.

Every line is a treat and there are a number of lines that will stay with you forever, such as:
"The small girl smiles. One eyelid flickers.
She whips a pistol from her knickers."

Although I adore this book, one word of warning: if you have a young child, who is sensitive, you might want to wait a while. My 4 year old daughter was a bit scared at first, so I left it. But now she is 6 she enjoys it. And my 4 year old son was fine straight away. There is violence (but then there is in all fairy stories).

The BBC have also made a great animated version of this, where they have cleverly weaved the stories together. A must watch too.

In summary: A classic, you must buy.
(The kindle version is great too)
on 30 June 2016
I am really happy with this product and wanted to include a comment to help others to confirm that all pictures inside are colour. I have purchased this for a 6th Birthday present but my daughter of the same age was very keen to include this on her birthday list too.
on 23 September 2016
I absolutely love these large colour format Roald Dahl editions and Revolting Rhymes is one that my husband and I both especially love from our childhoods. We really look forward to reading this with our young boys. The big bold pictures of these editions will help younger children progress from picture books, but with fantastic stories that all ages will love to bits! It is a shame that they aren't available as hard back editions as they would make beautiful gifts.
review imagereview image
on 29 November 2017
A Great story. A classic in Dahl's ouvre. Some consider this work Dahl's best. All the elements of his style and technique are highly developed. I rather like "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" better.
on 17 July 2015
The BFG is one of the best and funniest books I have ever read. It is a classic and a story i remember well from my own childhood. Every child should be read this story. In it, a girl named Sophie wakes up during "witching hour". In the distance, she sees a tall dark figure. As it comes closer, shes shocked what her eyes are showing her ,a GIANT! She thought that such things did not exist!! But Sophie not only sees him, HE sees HER. She hides under the covers in her bed, but still she is carried away with the giant to be sizzled like a rasher of bacon, or so she thought. But when she gets there, she discovers he is a Big Friendly Giant who blows dreams into sleeping children's rooms. There are also nine other giants who eat people. So begins a wild adventure to save the children around the world from them. Sophie, with the help of the BFG, "whiz poppers", "snoozecumbers", and the queen of England, she saves the world from devastation. The adventures is detailed so well that you feel like you are apart of it.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 July 2017
Amassing Friction from a shoe-purb child running righter. I loathed him as a young’un and, now as I read this yarn to my boy, I absshoelootly loath him evermore… interestingly – his wife suffered with dementia and would often get her words wrong or say funny words – and this is thought to have influenced the writing style of the BFG.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 August 2016
This is one of Roald Dahl's most famous books. Originally bought to read for my class, I now have it at home and it's currently my daughter's bedtime reading book. Can't really say much else - it's written in Dahl's unique and humourous style, most people will be familiar with it. Price and delivery excellent. If you haven't already read it - highly recommended for children (my daughter is 5 and loves it), will help give more depth to the film version, and a great bit of nostalgia for those of us who haven't read it in years :)
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 August 2016
Always been one of my favourite kids books but pages weren't cut properly. Had to trim them myself
on 10 January 2018
Adore this cheeky re-telling of 'old, well known classics'! Has long been a favourite of mine and bought for my niece who has also fallen in love. She is enamoured with this new version of a kick-ass, empowering Red Riding Hood and the rest of the stories.
on 9 October 2017
Oh I just love this story as did my son - now aged 30 and just became a father himself. I've bought this again for my Grandson and can't wait to start reading it to him. The quality of the paper, colour of the drawings are just quality. Very pleased..