The Witches
Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 24 September 2014
My wife remembers this book from her childhood as being her favourite book so she bought it for our 7-year-old daughter and we read it over several nights. My daughter also liked it and said it was "really fun".

The story starts with the unnamed boy narrator (at the beginning where the main characters are introduced he is simply called "boy") being told about witches by his grandmama. But "this is not a fairy-tale" she is telling. "This is about REAL WITCHES" and "real witches hate children." They disguise themselves as women and make children disappear.

The grandmother is funny because she is so un-grandma-like as she puffs away on her black cigar.

After that bout of story-telling the book sees the boy come into contact with real witches. Not just one witch though as he gets stuck in a room with about 200 of them. He has to hide but witches can smell children out, and do just that. This is where the real witching begins and the dastardly things they do comes to the fore.

All-in-all a classic Roald Dahl tale with the scary enemy potentially being anywhere, hence a child's imagination running wild.
2 people found this helpful
on 2 March 2016
My daughter loves Roald Dahl and this book was no exception. She's now 9 and has read this in a couple of weeks, just by taking it to school and reading first thing in the morning before lessons.

Easy to read and the usual 'unusual' style animations makes this a great book for the junior school age group.
3 people found this helpful
on 7 May 2014
This book has been read and reviews thousands of times but how can you not love Roald Dahls book? This is fantastic and I won't go into it because there are very few people who don't know the story already but if you don't get too it!!!

The Paperback - It has seen many different covers and this one is just a good as any of the others, Quentin Blake still attracts children who seem to be able to reckoning his work anywhere. The print is of good side and well looks good on the shelf!

The Audio Book - Have listened to many different versions over the years the most recent being Miranda Richardson but no one did this as well as Simon Callow. With his you just loose yourself in the story and his take on the Witches song 'Oh where have all the children gone' is hilarious! The only downside it's abridged where the newer Miranda Richardson version is unabridged but I would still pick Callow's version ever time.

Kindle - The same as the paperback just quicker to download it if you children are demanding to read it as mine were. illustrations are just as great, a couple of typos but nothing the drastic. Maybe being an older book now it could be a little cheaper for the ebook but worth every penny none the less.
on 7 April 2016
An absolutely fantastic seller. Lovely personal touches within the book. We bought this for our daughter and when she opened the envelope not only did she have the book that she really wanted that was in perfect condition at a bargain price but they had also enclosed sweets. Just wish all sellers paid so much attention to details. Thank you we have one very happy little girl :)
on 9 March 2018
My favourite book is the Witches by Roald Dahl. I Like this book because I love magic and things like that.The book is about witches trying to get rid of chidren.

Roald Dahl is famous around the world for writing magnificent and adventurous books.
on 27 April 2018
My 6 1/2 yr old loved this as a joint read. He loved it so much he asked to read it several times a day. That is a winning book for us. The imagination of the Great Dahl knows no bounds.
|0Comment|Report abuse
I enjoyed this book because it was full of mystery and left on a Cliffhanger almost on every chapter.
I liked the bit where boy was behind the divider listening to the witches planning to turn every child's into a rat.
This book is very exhilarating and I would recommend this to anyone who can read and likes funny books
By Ella divit
on 27 December 2017
Bought for xmas present grandson not read yet, but its Roald Dahl so should be good.
on 8 July 2011
THE WITCHES was just pure entertainment! It was absolutely hilarious for one thing, and for another it was delightfully scary! The characters were brilliant! THe little boy, the grandma, Bruno and the grand high witch are all amazing but Mr. Skinner beats them all! Some parts will bring tears to your eyes but that just worked with the book and helped the amazing plot flow. I highly recommend this if you like good books! Dahl's best book!
on 25 July 2017
I am 7 years old I read The Witches in about 4 days I liked the book.It was a bit scary but I loved it.I recommend it for 10 to 13 year old girls and boys .I cant wait for the movie it could be for halloween ???????bye I hope you will enjoy the book [that is if you read it]