on 9 June 2015
I remember reading this as a child and recently re-read it as a bed time story book to my 5 year old son. I wanted to see if my son really listens and thought lets read a longer bed time story book and see if he remains interested and can recall the story given it will be read over a period of a week or two (few chapters each night).
We finished the book within 10 days and he loved every second of it. It kept him focused all the way through. Every night he said "please mum a few more pages!" This story kept him gripped to want to know what happens next and he was laughing out loud so much. Dahl's writing is brilliant and i loved reading this out loud to my son.
8 people found this helpful
on 28 November 2014
Initially when i started reading this book to my daughter , I felt really awful at how lonely and sad James was and how horrid Aunt Spikey and Aunt Sponge were. I wasn't sure if I wanted to carry on reading it due to the bullying from the aunts but then the book suddenly takes a lovely turn and James is freed of his horrid aunts and finds some new magical friends and suddenly the story turns interesting. All the characters he meets and travels with on his adventures in the Peach are memorable including : Grasshopper, Earthworm, Miss Spider, Ms Ladybird and Centipede and the ending was simply heart warming!
3 people found this helpful
on 2 January 2011
This is a cracking story, designed to catch any small boy's attention. It is very well done with songs, sound effects and a good cast of character voices.

My 5 year old giggled with delight as the narrator egged George on as he adds more and more wacky things to his grandma's new medicine ("Horseradish?" Excellent! "Curry powder?" Brilliant!). I have now listened to it 3 times and can report that I am quite happy to do so several times more. The same can't be said for other audiobooks we have ...

At an hour long, it probably covers most car journeys you are likely to do. My only warning would be that the Grandma really is quite a scarey character, so might not be suitable for very young children or right before bedtime. She shouts quite a range of nasty things ("You horrible little worm!") and George thinks very nasty things back ("Miserable old cow!"). My 5 year old has yet to shout any of these things himself, but I am sure he will once he knows the story backwards. Still, I supose there are worse things he could be saying!!

Your next step from this would be James and the Giant Peach. The same company of actors does a version, also avaliable on Amazon. It's the same little boy as the lead part. Makes perfect sense to my kids.
4 people found this helpful
on 22 February 2017
I bought this for an 8 year old boy at Christmas and he absolutely loved it. He's listened to it over and over again, we're now close to the end of February and he still plays it often. He has a 4 year old brother who isn't interested in it in the slightest at this age.
on 22 March 2015
This is a wonderful book about George who has a kranky old grandmother hell bent on making his life difficult. So he comes up with a plan for substituting her normal medicine which does nothing for her with his own homemade one with some very interesting results.

I loved the health warning at the beginning of the book asking children not to try and concoct this medicine at home. One can clearly see why! :)

Another lovely book by Roald Dahl
on 10 March 2016
This is a classic book and is perfect for boys and girls of all ages. It is a lovely quality and for the money, I will certainly be purchasing more of Roald Dahl books as every child should experience the magic of Dahl's story telling!

Highly Recommend!
2 people found this helpful
on 23 September 2014
My 7 year old son loves me (Dad) reading this to him at bedtime. Today he wanted me to read the rest of it instead of his allocated "screen-time." He also loved The Twits, and George's Marvelous Medicine, but this is his favorite. I have also read him Harry Potter, and since that, his school reading levels have rocketed up. Keep reading your child something above their level, as well as getting them to read their school books to you, almost guarantees success in Literacy at school. I'm sure in a year or two he could read the books himself. By the way, I am not an avid pleasure-reader, myself, but I understand how important it is for him.
on 13 April 2017
Just a wonderful feel good book.
A wonderful break from all the crime detective stories I have had to go through.
Smiles and giggles and lots of joy.
Put your feet up and enjoy.
on 22 April 2012
This audiobook tells a very nice story of a happy young boy and his gorgeous father, who live in an old gypsy caravan without electricity in it. His mother died when he was a little child. The father is working in his own small gas station and workshop where his son Danny learns very much about cars, even to drive one. Their living is economically poor but by no means empty, they love and adore each other.
Their big adventure where Danny needs his skill to run a car is connected with poaching pheasants and sabotaging the great hunting party of the rich landowner, and during these events Danny is to become the Champion of the World.
The reader Nathaniel Parker is as exquisite as ever. He is doing all characters many of them most hilarious: nine-year old Danny, his loving father who smiles only with his eyes, the local policeman, the vicar`s wife and others. He brings to life the whole story with incredible brilliance, you could never achieve that by reading the book yourself.
on 29 April 2015
Anyone who loves Roald Dahl cannot fail to enjoy this one! It is my favourite of all his stories! So ridiculous that it is amazingly funny. Having said that, I think Dahl is a genious and knows how to get inside children's heads to make them laugh! Not only for children, though......
Great fun,humorous and brilliant. Sit back and relax!