on 20 December 2001
I love all Roald Dahl books because of his weird but exciting stories. Ialso love the what looks to be like brilliant and quick sketch drawings by Quinten Blake. James and the Giant Peach has to be his best book he has ever written because of all of his ideas that he made James do. Making over 200 seagulls carry a peach is just fantastic, also I would like to mention the way he described the charaters, it was just incredible. I liked the way James could talk to creepy crawlies and the different personalities they all had. It's just awesome!
on 4 July 2012
This is a fantastic Roald Dahl book, a great classic and is great for children aged from 5-10. I would highly recommend it to any child, my son loved it.
on 8 October 2009
Bought this book for my 6 year old son who is a huge Roald Dahl fan. He's half way through it and enjoying it very much. On the day it came through the post,I stayed up reading it and bought back fond memories when I read it as a child. Would definitely recommend it for any Roald Dahl fan.
on 30 July 2009
All Roald Dahl stories are fantastic for kids, and in my opinion, this is one of the best! a classic tale that was made into a wonderful film.
I think ANYONE could read this story and love it. Adults and children alike!
on 23 June 2006
The book I have read is called James and The Giant peach. It is written by Roald Dahl and it is illustrated by Quentin Blake. James and the Giant peach is a brilliant book. This book is Fiction. Moreover, it is adventurous. This book has all different types of settings: the first setting is in a house, the second setting is in a huge peach and the last setting is in the great city of New York.

Amazingly, this book is about a young boy named James Henry Trotter. Since, James' parents died he had not been happy at all. In addition he had to go and live with his horrible sinister aunts in the country side. Plus, he was being bullied by his ghastly aunts! Until one day when a man gave him some magical crocodile tongues. Furthermore James unfortunately fell over and dropped them. The next day, James found a tremendous peach. That's when the adventure started.

The characters in the book are James (The main Character) that has two aunts (Horrible and sinister things to him) and has some amazing friends: They are the Centipede, The Old green grasshopper, The Silkworm, Miss Spider, The Glow worm and the Ladybird. But on the other hand the Old Green Grasshopper is kind of a show off because he plays music but he brags about it.

James relationship with his aunts is terrible because they never get on also they call him name and beat him. James relationship between him and the creatures are very good. In addition, his best friend is The Centipede; he thinks that the Old-Green-Grasshopper is kind of his best friend because he always helps him when he needs help. Plus, with the rest of his peach friend they have a great relationship.

I love this book it is a great book that everyone will enjoy it. I will recommend this book for everyone because it has clear font it has pictures to help you recognise what is happening. Further more, it is a hilarious book that will make you laugh your head off! Moreover, it is worth buying it because you can read it over and over again and it will still be funny! I have enjoyed this book and so would you!
Of all Dahl’s books, this feels the least like a Dahl to me. Of course, it’s still wonderful. A magic growing peach and insects, horrible adults to be overcome (the most Dahl-esque moment comes early on when Sponge and Spiker meet their bumpy end), but it feels as though Dahl had yet to quite slide into his later niche.

I have many happy memories of this book, sitting in my parents bed, alongside my siblings, while my mum read this aloud to us. And now my son has experienced this in a similar way, as an audiobook over a number of car journeys. At 5, I thought this might be a little much for him, with the poems, the cloud creatures, the horrific treatment of James by his aunts. But he took it in his stride.

It has a pretty shocking opener, for a children’s book – parents killed, aunts neglectful and abusive. But then the ‘magic’, inexplicable though it may be, occurs, and little James sets off on an adventure that ends with new friends, a new home and a new start.

James manages to stay centre stage amidst the plethora of new friends he makes, each who takes a moment of limelight, saving his fellow travellers, carrying out plans to save them, with Dahl’s familiar theme of the capable child taking charge and succeeding against the odds.

The poetry feels rather (Edward) Lear-like, and I think it went above my son’s head, though the story itself he could talk about, predict, discuss with me.

The story’s overall lack of cultural references gives it a timeless quality, it’s a universal story of escaping tyranny and making a new life.
As a parent, James’s early life is heartbreaking to read about in a way it wasn’t when I was a young listener myself. He is the best characterised, though each of his companions has personality and a role. Sponge and Spiker, I almost with they lasted longer, but they are so beautifully repellent!

It’s not my favourite Dahl, but it’s fascinating to read again, and deserves to be part of a child’s bedroom library. So much imagination (I love the Cloudmen making a rainbow and hail, the cenitpede’s boots, the aunts).

One for listeners of almost any age (Rhind-Tutt is very clear and enjoyable to listen to), for readers probably about 8/9 and above.
on 28 November 2014
Initially when i started reading this book to my daughter , I felt really awful at how lonely and sad James was and how horrid Aunt Spikey and Aunt Sponge were. I wasn't sure if I wanted to carry on reading it due to the bullying from the aunts but then the book suddenly takes a lovely turn and James is freed of his horrid aunts and finds some new magical friends and suddenly the story turns interesting. All the characters he meets and travels with on his adventures in the Peach are memorable including : Grasshopper, Earthworm, Miss Spider, Ms Ladybird and Centipede and the ending was simply heart warming!
VINE VOICEon 11 November 2015
To really enjoy James and the Giant Peach you need to have read it to a 5 year old who hasn’t yet been dulled by video games and television and still understands that marvellous things can and do sometimes happen. I’ve read it to four so far and have enjoyed it immensely each time. Trying to give all the different characters, different voices is quite a challenge, but I’m getting better each time.

When James parents are eaten by an escaped Rhinoceros in 35 seconds flat, he is sent to live with his aunts, Spiker and Sponge. Mean and uncaring they treat him little better than a slave and keep him virtually trapped in their run down house by the sea. Even though the beach is only a short way off he is forbidden to go there or see other children. As you can expect he is miserable and very lonely. When he meets a mysterious man in the garden (Pete Postlethwaite) and is given some tiny magic creatures he is told to use them to make him happy. However he drops them and they disappear into the ground under the old Peach Tree. The very next day marvellous things start to happen.

Dahl’s almost Dickensian obsession with ever more bizarre adults being mean to children is as evident as ever with Sponge and Spiker, however it is James time and adventures aboard the Giant Peach with his new friends that makes this a magical story that should hold most youngsters attention right to the end. A gentle message to care about others and the environment is wrapped up in there, but the book is never allowed to be preachy.

Dahl is not afraid to subject children to some of the more unpleasant sides of life like death, poverty, hunger, fear, danger, and these subjects pop up often in his stories. In that respect they are little like those dark nursery rhymes children often learn in school. However saying that the books always have a positive message about goodness and treating people, especially children, with respect and kindness. Dahl’s obsession with children not watching too much TV and doing things outdoors is sometimes piled on a little too thick, but he meant well and is of course quite right.

Easily one of the best children’s books ever written and a perennial favourite.
on 13 February 2016
Fantastic story, recieved promptly and in fantastic condition.
Like all Roald Dahl books it is perfect for you to read to your children of for them to read to themselves, am very much looking forward to reading it to my daughter.
on 23 March 2015
I bought this to read to my children at bedtime. Not only have they all enjoyed it, but it brought back many memories for me too, as I remember having this book read to me as a child. A fabulous way to instil a love of reading in young people.