Customer reviews

7,769
Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 July 2014
This is the first book I have read by John Green and It most certainly will not be my last. This book popped up on my recommendations list on my Kobo. I read it until the early hours of the morning as I could not put it down. By the end of it I had both tears and snot dripping down my face – a lovely image I know. I have never tried so hard to quieten my sobs in the early hours of the morning.

I had to buy the physical version and add it too my wonderful collection.

This book is so moving and such a lovely read despite the tragic ending. I must say that John Green managed to move me in a way no other author has managed to do and then continued to move me even more as the story progressed. I was predicting a different ending when I first started reading ‘The Fault in our Stars’. So was surprised when it suddenly did not appear to be going that way.
I learned a lot about illness reading this and have managed to look at life a little differently due to it. Some may think this is an exaggeration but as I am not suffering from an illness but am -arguably- wasting my life sitting on my arse all day I do believe this book can give you a different outlook towards life.
The best stories are love stories.
At the end of it all, it gave me something to think about, it moved me and lastly it made me ponder different questions after I finished reading the last word. What more do you want from a book?
on 5 July 2017
I absolutely love this book. It is a fantastically written, emotional book.
John Green really knows how to capture a mood, and throw you right in with the characters. It was stunning. I was gripped from start to finish. I actually brought this book as a gift for my partner, but after she told me how good it was, I had to steal it.
The book has been made in to a movie, but the adaptation is never going be as good as getting lost int he words.
Very cleverly written and a very emotional book. I give credit to John Green for writing a book this good about such a difficult subject.

Amazing!
on 4 March 2017
I loved this book I wanted to read TFIOS because I'd seen the movie and I knew there was a book (I read most books that I've seen the movie of) If your about 12-17 you probably would like this book and the movie if your interested. I hope this helped you choose if you are going to read this book or not.
P.S. Heartbreak is this books middle name.
on 13 January 2017
I've just finished the sob-fest that is 'The Fault in Our Stars' by John Green. It was recommended to me by my teenage daughter. I started to read it, out of a sense of obligation, to show an interest in her taste in books, and to have something for us to chat about. Knock my socks off, it's fantastic! Brilliant characterisation from the start. It's terribly sad. I suggest you don't read it if you are unwell or depressed, but it raises some very deep philosophical issues about life, death, the universe and everything. It gives me a bit of hope that our young adults might not be scrambling their brains with screens all the time, but engaging with a beautifully written story with some challenging themes. Five stars.
on 2 June 2017
A love story that I was afraid to read because I suspected that it would make me cry. I avoid Lassie films for the same reason. The story did bring a tear to my eye but more than that it opened up a world to me full of well meaning people who care about their sick loved ones and try very hard to help them. Their words fall short because the sick persons journey is known only to her/himself and the kindness of others is often another burden. A funny thoughtful and somewhat eccentric, warm, and sometimes puzzling story. Well worth reading.
on 8 April 2017
Took me a while to get into this book,usually I can read a book in a few hours,this one took me a week,but once I got into it,I actually did enjoy it,I think anyone who has had a family member or friend whose had cancer might find this book a struggle,simply because of the subject matter,but I'd say persevere,it's a very good story
on 3 May 2013
What a great book.

I am glad that this was picked for a book club as otherwise I would not have read it - sometimes you can't help but judge a book by its cover and this one is awful.

I laughed and cried my way through this book, and came out a different person at the end.

The characters are well developed and so so real. You can feel their pain, picture them perfectly. My heart was breaking throughout this whole book. You get so involved with the characters. You can't help it. There is no way you can read this and keep yourself separate from all that's going on.

Although some part of me expected the ending, it still shattered me. Great big gasping sobs, tears rolling down my face, the lot.

This book left me an emotional wreck.

Even months on, I think of this book. I imagine the petals falling down on Amsterdam, I imagine the basement with the video games. I cannot get this book out of my head.
on 31 March 2013
Protagonist of the story, Hazel, is a teenager with cancer. This is always going to be a tough subject to read about but John Green writes it so damn well. Hazel is far from the down and miserable character you would expect her to be. Instead, she is really witty and extremely intelligent. Even though she has cancer, she attends college classes a couple of days a week. Although she is really down (naturally) about the state of her life, she never comes across as depressing. I loved Hazel's natural wit, her ability to say exactly what she is feeling or thinking and I loved the humour in her voice.

When Augustus comes into Hazel's life, everything changes for them both. He too has survived some pretty horrible things for a guy so young but he doesn't let it stop him. From the very beginning, Gus was extremely funny and a loveable and likeable character. He forces Hazel to re-evaluate everything she thinks she knows about life and cancer and really, gives her a real second chance. The pair together are wonderful to read about as the banter between them was fantastic.

The Fault in Our Stars is not exactly a book about a cancer. While characters in the book do have cancer, it is more a coming of age story. We see both Hazel and Augustus develop so much through their relationship and each of them become better and stronger people. What I wasn't expecting from this book was the sense of adventure and the need to do something so badly. I really enjoyed watching Hazel and Augustus jet off in order to find the answers they thought they needed and this also gave them a chance to spend some real time together and have some fun.

This is strange book to be able to talk about in regards to emotions. While I was expecting to cry, which I did, I did not expect to laugh out loud so much. John Green throws in some fantastic humour, and sometimes right in the middle of a situation which shouldn't be funny at all. At times when I thought I should be feeling really sad about what was happening I found myself giggling and laughing quite a lot. Green has a way of taking a really bad situation and making it light-hearted while still showing the importance of what is going on. This book is a whole rollercoaster of emotions but I wouldn't have had it any other way. I absolutely adored what this book made me feel and it really opened my eyes about certain things.

Although this has been my first John Green book, I am drying to read his others now. Completely loved this!
on 1 May 2012
My experience of books surrounding teens with cancer usually involves some sort of bucket list, an ability to get a way with murder and frankly annoying and unrealistic characters which begs the question why did I even pick this book up in the first place? Well, honestly, it was because of my faith in John Green as a writer and he didn't let me down.

This is a book which actually has dimensions to it, the way Green writes is one that makes each individual character no matter how small they are feel like an actual living, breathing person. They have good points to them, each character also has flaws but no flaw so big that there is blatantly as bad guy and a good guy. My only criticism would be that perhaps Augustus is a tad too perfect? Although as it is written from the point of view of Hazel (girlfriend of Augustus) perhaps this is because of her perception of him.

As for the story I appreciate how it hasn't got a cliche end or a great fanfare about the beauty of life, acceptance of death etc. Instead this novel is simply a snapshot of a moment in time. Maybe this will frustrate some readers however I greatly appreciated it.

Overall I thoroughly recommend this as a read, it is a book that will stay with you for a long time to come.

Disclaimer: You may start thinking very metaphysically after reading this.
on 1 April 2016
I approached this book with some trepidation given the subject matter. Illness and cancer would seem to point to a challenging read. Nothing could be further from the truth. Two teenagers facing up to their illness with bravery, truth and sometimes levity crept into my heart and made me really care about them. Expect to laugh and cry and fall a little bit in love with them.